Electric Aerial Problem

fabiano

When i first bought my Celica (first registered 1-1-1994) the only thing that didnt work was the electric aerial, so made enquiries and found out from toyota they were not made anymore. So, found one in a breakers yard in Cornwall called the guy he assured me it was working and i got it the other day it should have been a straight swap over but wasnt. I installed the seconhand unit and it didnt work so called the company and he reassured me it was working but said he couldnt test the relay thats inside of the unit..ok i have a couple of questions im wondering if anyone could answer for me....on installatiuon i noticed there was a single black wire attached to the body close to the ariel unit I'm assuming it's an earth of some kind, but is this for the aerial or what?? and if so where do i connect it to. Secondly, how can i get the aerial up and leave it up i hate driving listening to radio 2 all the time. Lastly, I do have my old unit minus the silver aerial (well most of it) and in view of this new unit i have is up for grabs if you want to take a chance on it.

if the motor still works, then its quite easy to get a ariel mast fitted (which isn't Toyota). I've had 3 fitted on gen 6s, but i was lucky that the motors were fine. on STs cost me about £40 and on the GT £50.Just had them fitted at a local garage

Edited by The Blue Meenie

if the motor is still running fine on the ariel then just replace the mast easy to do and cheap here you go these fit the 5 all you have to do is trim an 1 1/2 off the plastic tail and they work fine

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AERIAL-ANTENNA-MAST-SALE-ALL-TOYOTA-CELICA-MODELS-/110735094878?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19c853745e

I've gone through a couple. The trouble is they are all vrry old and very knackered, so you get one from a breakers and voila you have just fitted an Ariel a heartbeat away from the one you just binned. I am considering a steel mast like the one on our MX5 that simply stays up, on account of it not being retractable.

Thanks you to all for your suggestions..the original motor didnt appear to work and this is why i paid out £63 for a secondhand one but the motor dosent appear to work on this one either so now its either a faulty unit or somethings wrong with the wiring on the car but help might be on the way in the form of ive just brought a double din unit to replace the aftermarket radio/cd thats in the car its being fitted in on wednesday this week and they have said they will look at the ariel when installing the new unit ive brought.

Thanks you to all for your suggestions..the original motor didnt appear to work and this is why i paid out £63 for a secondhand one but the motor dosent appear to work on this one either so now its either a faulty unit or somethings wrong with the wiring on the car but help might be on the way in the form of ive just brought a double din unit to replace the aftermarket radio/cd thats in the car its being fitted in on wednesday this week and they have said they will look at the ariel when installing the new unit ive brought.

i got a flat head screawdriver in mine and pulled it up, now it stays up, you lucky you had radio2 i had just classic radio

• Xanadu changed the title to Electric Aerial Problem

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.