Oil pressure switch location

Hi all can anyone tell me where abouts the oil pressure switch on the engine is, my son in law says a yellow warning oil light (lower left on the dash) is on constant when the engine is hot in his celica 95 uk model gen6 3sge engine. We havent seen it for ourselves as yet, we hope to tomorrow, would just like to have an idea in advance,

Right, got the car engine oil level ok but yellow light on when the engine is warmed up, has anyone a photo of which sensor its likely to be, i think ive found the one on the forward right side of the head, unplugged it and light still on, ideas anyone please :(

Unplugged would be no different to it showing low pressure.

Can you check, do you have red and yellow oil can lights, or just one. You should be able to see if you have both when you switch on the ignition.

The level sensors are known to be temperamental and can cause issues like showing a fault when there isn't one.

Unplugged would be no different to it showing low pressure.

Can you check, do you have red and yellow oil can lights, or just one. You should be able to see if you have both when you switch on the ignition.

The level sensors are known to be temperamental and can cause issues like showing a fault when there isn't one.

there is both oil cans on the dash one is red with a line underneath and a yellow one its the yellow one that is lit up :(

Edited by dragon queen

It's a very common fault on the gen 6. The level sensor just goes and then the alert plays up. You can buy a new one (expensive) or take the bulb out of the dash (cheap). Either way as long as you check the oil level regularly it won't be an issue.

Thanks for the advice, had a tinkle with the sensor earlier tried half heartedly to remove it and chickened out, is very very tight, and made me nervous of snapping it off, still cant figure out the size of it couldnt find a deep metric socket to fit properly, had to use an old imperial one. Will take your advice and remove the bulb, on a positive note it means ive got a spare bulb now. :)

3SGE engine? Oil level sensor is on the sump near the drain plug if i remember right. They do go and will illuminate the orange light as stated above. The pressure sensor located higher up on the block/head will illuminate the red oil can warning light and thats the scary one!

A new oil level sensor from Toyota is around £130 - alternatively just pull the plug from it, bridge the terminals of the sensor with a bit if thin copper wire and re-attach the plug. Light goes out and as long as you check your oil regularly you are fine - also means ALL the warning lights will still come on when you turn the ignition on ;)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.