polishing brake discs

IMAG0083.jpg

just bought these for all four corners, they are nearly new but have picked up some light rust.

i want to polish em up to as new, before giving them to 'sally' :lol:

any recommendations on products or process, please.

also i was thinking of painting the hub part of the disc, black thinking it will look good and will protect it from future rust a bit.

is this a good idea?

if so is hammerite heat resistant enough, or do i need caliper paint.

many thanx. simon

Just in the process of hammerite - ing discs myself & i'm using the silver direct to rust metal spray mate. Just masked off the first one, give me fecking strength! :D (curvey masking tape, brilliant stuff)

Would something like autosol clean them up before you paint them, or is the rust too bad?

IMAG0575.jpg

Edited by J03

Wire brush on a drill or grinder works a treat, hammerite should be fine, I put a high temp clear lacquer on mine when they were new and it's kept the original look without flaking :)

x2 on this Si.

Although I didn't bother with the high temp lacquer, a good idea though.

Dont get hung up on getting paint on the part of the disc where the pad comes in contact with. A small amount of overspray will burn off very quickly.

Also, it's best to use high temp paint as well, just using the lacquer probably wont cut it as the heat will be coming from behind the paint too

Thanx, done eBay last night, got hammerite high heat spray, Matt black, vht lacquer, autosol, caliper stickers. Wire brush drill bits.

Project for next week, going on the weekend after, 9th July.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.