Seat Belt Tightening

Random question but something I've never actually worked out, when turning the engine off, the seat belts tighten themselves a lil bit, and I cannot work out why they would do that! lol Anyone know why they do it?

I'd imagine because you might of turned the car off but not put handbrake on and toyota dont want you to have a flat face?

I would, in an off topic but related kinda way, like to know how you can increase the rate at which the belt retracts once you've taken it off? As many older cars seem to lose it and you have to deal with mega seatbelt flop and handfeed it back into the slot

Dont think so, as would make sense then that the system would be attached to the handbrake and could detect whether its on it not, same was as the handbrake light on the dash does, or DVD headunits when wired correctly.

Any other ideas? just seems to be an odd thing to do as your going to get out of the car,lol

The seatbelts probably don't know the difference between a car engine getting turned off, and a crash? So basically as soon as the seatbelts get a signal... *for whatever reason* that the engine has gone off, they tighten.

You'll be thankful of this incase of an emergency :)

I'd imagine because you might of turned the car off but not put handbrake on and toyota dont want you to have a flat face?

I would, in an off topic but related kinda way, like to know how you can increase the rate at which the belt retracts once you've taken it off? As many older cars seem to lose it and you have to deal with mega seatbelt flop and handfeed it back into the slot

You can't, the clockspring inside is basically worn out, you'd have to re forge it and trust me fiddling with one of them is no fun at all.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.