Will mileage still be counted if the instrument dial unit is removed?

wilbo83

I have a dial face and smt leds to fit to my gen7 but doubt i will be able to turn it around in one day. I use the car everyday, so just wondered;

1) is it ok to use the car with the dial cluster removed

2) will any mileage in the time when the dial cluster is removed be counted?

Edited by wilbo83

If it's Spree's kit you'll be able to do it in a couple of hours easily.

Hadnt even come across spree, just taking a quick look now, looks like he only does gen6 ones but if he is experienced at soldering, may drop him a pm and see if he is able to do the gen7 ones. Did you have to solder individual smt leds or is it easier on the gen6?

erm i dont think the mileage will go up as the speedo will be disconnected

and the legal side i think you must have a working speedo in the car at all times, so id suggest running a satnav that tells you your speed

It wouldn't count up the miles.

However I am sure I have read somewhere that you shouldn't run the car with the cluster removed. I have no idea why, aside from the legal point of not having a working speedo, but I'm positive I have read it somewhere.

It wouldn't count up the miles.

However I am sure I have read somewhere that you shouldn't run the car with the cluster removed. I have no idea why, aside from the legal point of not having a working speedo, but I'm positive I have read it somewhere.

Thats what i thought, even though it may not be thousands of miles, surely it is clocking the car. May need to improve my soldering skills so i know i can get it done in one day then!

Drop Spree a pm - if he hasn't yet done a Gen 7 he'll probably give you a pretty good price so that he can get a kit up together.

No soldering was needed on mine, the LED's are a direct push-in replacement for the bulbs.

And the effect is awesome :)

Its fine I had mine removed for a week, just used my sat nav for speedo, no problems...

Also Diablo7772 offers a soldering service he did my dials and also quite a few others, he can do the whole job fit dial face re-calibrate needles etc...

Check his corporate section...

diablo is the man for soldering them little sods but no milage wont go up and also you wont know if fuel is low water temp etc but no harm in doing so legally must be able to tell what speed your doing :D

The main issue with running a car without the combo meter is that some sensors feed info to the combo first then the combo talks back the info to the ECU, this could then trigger an error and even make the car run poor. If you did this the codes could be cleared when the combo was refitted.

I was thinking about taking my Dials out and sending them to mook to have my dials changed to new ones, I drive about 100 miles a week and lets say I dont get my dials back for a week.

surely if your car is showing 100 miles less than it has actually done its nothing to worry about when it comes to selling your car or anything.

especially when my cars 8 years old and on 55,000.

and cant you just drive and use a satnav to see how fast your going.

Sat navs are mroe accurate than speedo's anyways, or at least speedo's straight out the factory.

1: Simple answer is (YES) but you won't know the revs, miles, temp, fuel and of course the speed.

2: No it won't, it is all stored on the unit it self.

Mook doesn't do the changing service thats why i went corporate on here. I do change the smts and all the facia which you can buy off mook, the turn around normally takes 3 days as it takes 1 day to send and recive, 1 evening/night to do the dials and i send them off the next day. Some people have used sat navs to check the speed for the 3 days it takes. I can also recalibrate it to the tom tom speed but i do keep it a 1mph off so you don't get in trouble :).

Hope that helps

Ah reet so we buy that dial kits off mook and send those and the speedo units to you?

Might just be easier getting mook to send the dial kits to you instead of me? then when you receive the kits send you the speedo unit? :)

Plan?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.