holts 2part radflush.

ok so my head gasket has not gone, but there is so much crud in my coolant system that it caused my rad to pop. fixed now, thanx princy!!!

she lives again now, first decent drive for a long time today went to halfords and bought some holts 2part radflush and although ive never done anything mechanical to my car, i gonna try to do this myself tomorrow morning.

anyways, instructions seem very long but simples, but a few questions. questions in [CAPS]

part 1.

1. thoroughly drain radiator and engine block. [DOES THIS JUST MEAN TAKE THE BOTTOM HOSE OFF]

and flush with cold water [WHAT DOES THIS MEAN]

2 Refill and add contents

3. cover filler pipe [?] with damp cloth. for systems with an overflow pipe replace radiator cap and cover overflow tank with cloth [DOES MY GEN5 HAVE THIS OVERFLOW TANK?]

4. run engine on fast idle [?] for 30 minutes

5. switch engine off and drain and flush

6. refill with hot water [FROM TAP?]

7. run engine on tickover [?] and then drain.

and thats just part 1!!! i'll post up part 2 with questions later!!!

any help or comments welcome, sorry for being a nooby pita!

1a. Yes. Whatever it takes to get most of the water out of the system. You'll not get it completely empty as their are parts of the engine below the lowest outlet so you'll not get them empty.

1b. Stick a hose in. Personally I would advise that you remove the thermostat. Usually fairly easy on most Celica engines. I would flush the rad separately by taking the top hose off and flushing the rad from there. You can then flush the engine by sticking the hose in the radiator top hose (attached to engine) and running it through until it runs clear. Make sure the heater is set to the hottest setting so that the valve to the heat exchanged is fully open.(Means you flush the heater circuit at the same time).

3. Fairly sure you will have an expansion(overflow) tank. Look at the radiator cap. Do you see a small tube leading to a plastic tank? That will have lid that you can take off (with this small tube) Cover this with the cloth. You might also want to take that off and rinse it out before you do the refill as it might have some crap in it.

4. Fast idle is about 1500 RPM.

6. That'll be a pain in the ass. I'd just let the engine cool completely (probably about 4 hours) then use cold water.

7. Just start the engine and let it run at idle.

Hope that helps.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.