sludge build up

i found this article while reading about oils and additives then came across this:

Toyota sludge problems

For their part, Toyota have the dubious honour of having the most complaints about sludge buildup in their engines - 3,400 at the last count. At the time of writing there is a class action suit going on against them. Details can be found at www.oilgelsettlement.com

Read more: http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html#ixzz1HjZWBZPB

Sludge formation is due to the breakdown of oil and entrapment of carbon. Since Toyota has a tendency to make engines with crap piston rings it's no suprise really, but to be fair using cheap oil and not changing it regularly enough will be the primary cause.

Use proper synthetic stuff and change it before it looks like treacle on your dipstick(You are checking your oil regularly aren't you?)

the thing is if you change from using semi synthetic to fully synthetic it could possibly make your engine leak oil. without going into to much detail it basicly melts the build up which would be sealing seals etc. therefore leak. so best thing to do is just stick with semi synthetic therefore get the part protection hence (semi synthetic) as to fully synthetic in newer car with newer piston rings etc..biggrin.gif

After working on engines all my working life. The term black death is used when an engine over heats to the point all the carbon build up starts to flake off into the sump due to the heat. It then gets pulled up onto the pre filter in the sump hence starving the engine of oil. Black death.

the thing is if you change from using semi synthetic to fully synthetic it could possibly make your engine leak oil. without going into to much detail it basicly melts the build up which would be sealing seals etc. therefore leak. so best thing to do is just stick with semi synthetic therefore get the part protection hence (semi synthetic) as to fully synthetic in newer car with newer piston rings etc..biggrin.gif

Err, just plain no I'm afraid!

After working on engines all my working life. The term black death is used when an engine over heats to the point all the carbon build up starts to flake off into the sump due to the heat. It then gets pulled up onto the pre filter in the sump hence starving the engine of oil. Black death.

I've never ever come across an engine that has suffered this, thankfully, and I've worked on some dogs.

Sludge formation is due to the breakdown of oil and entrapment of carbon. Since Toyota has a tendency to make engines with crap piston rings it's no suprise really, but to be fair using cheap oil and not changing it regularly enough will be the primary cause.

Use proper synthetic stuff and change it before it looks like treacle on your dipstick(You are checking your oil regularly aren't you?)

Oil change every 6000 and fully synthetic every time....

Nice pic by the way Al...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.