looking for a thread about referb DIY?

bigstring

Who was recently doing a thread, rubbing / sanding down there wheels and referbing them – in the last couple of days? I can’t find it anywhere’s? Gen5 owner? I wanted to know what drill sander bit they used?

sonic temple,for me i used a wire brush on a drill for any corrosion then flatted the wheel with 600 and a scotchpad for hard to reach parts..Sonic used a wire brush on a grinder i think..

Edited by bigb1970

It wasn't me who posted the thread, but I did refurb my gen7 standard 16" alloys, which are now on the car as my winter wheels.

I did that by getting a wirebrush drill bit (just a cheap one for a couple of quid), used that to brush off all the paint and corrosion and get back to the bare metal, then I used a course sandpaper and some elbow grease to get any scratches from the brush smoothed out. Next I used fine wet and dry (and lots of patience!), then I sprayed them with etch primer, about 4 or 5 coats per wheel using wet and dry between coats to get a nice smooth finish. To finish them off I gave them two or three coats of silver (the best match I could get to the original colour) and several coats of clear laquer.

I know this hasn't exactly answered your question, but bottom line, I used a two quid wire brush in an electric drill and get pretty good results! I'm at work at the minute so I can't upload any pictures right now, but I can do if you're interested in the level of finish I achieved. Hope thats of some help mate

Thats the one! and thats why i could not find it.

Here you go

http://www.celica-club.co.uk/forum/index.p...=115888&hl=

Not sure why it was in Off Topic though

It wasn't me who posted the thread, but I did refurb my gen7 standard 16" alloys, which are now on the car as my winter wheels.

I did that by getting a wirebrush drill bit (just a cheap one for a couple of quid), used that to brush off all the paint and corrosion and get back to the bare metal, then I used a course sandpaper and some elbow grease to get any scratches from the brush smoothed out. Next I used fine wet and dry (and lots of patience!), then I sprayed them with etch primer, about 4 or 5 coats per wheel using wet and dry between coats to get a nice smooth finish. To finish them off I gave them two or three coats of silver (the best match I could get to the original colour) and several coats of clear laquer.

I know this hasn't exactly answered your question, but bottom line, I used a two quid wire brush in an electric drill and get pretty good results! I'm at work at the minute so I can't upload any pictures right now, but I can do if you're interested in the level of finish I achieved. Hope thats of some help mate

Cool Cool, I just wanted to know what wirebrush drill bit to use as I did not want to take chunks out!

sonic temple,for me i used a wire brush on a drill for any corrosion then flatted the wheel with 600 and a scotchpad for hard to reach parts..Sonic used a wire brush on a grinder i think..

Cheers Big....... twas in Off Topic...... start in the next month, loads to do!

hi , i am here and guilty as charged , the attachment i used was a wire brush cup attachment to a small grinder but you can get the same for a drill , just dont use the ones with the wires twisted together that wouls be 2 coarse

Darn it, the amount of time I spend up there as well!

is there not still a wiki for this?

edit in fact there still is

fix your own wheels :)

Cheers fella, I got 2 of these last night - http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...tegoryId_165557

hi , i am here and guilty as charged , the attachment i used was a wire brush cup attachment to a small grinder but you can get the same for a drill , just dont use the ones with the wires twisted together that wouls be 2 coarse

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.