making my 'Mistress' Celica into track car

ok, in here rather than mods as this is a theory excercise....

IF I was to decide to mod the car as a street / track car, what would be your advice / choices as to what should be done...

been thinking of this option for a couple of months (before it was even on the road!!) but still cannot decide what / if it should be done..

another option would be to get another Celica and have dedicated street car and one for tracking, but budgetry constriants and all that.....

firstly, the car... (and what's been done so far!!)

1994 Gen6 GT

--- Engine

GS3E 150,000 miles and both standard and pretty much untested (done 1000 miles in past week and seems ok!!!) . induction kit (origon unknown (K&N fitted died so 'found one') assisted with 3inch to 2 inch 'induction' pipe from front grille to filter, hits 7000 with no issues (1st to 3rd tested, cant find enough road for next two gears!!) did 130 in her and she was still eager!!!! exhaust has been de catted, but a more useable version is in planning!

all fliuds, filters and belts changed, spark plugs not changed as it runs well (if it aint broke dont fix it attitude for MOT)

--- Suspension

lowered what seems to be 40mm (oof!) springs of origon unknown but they aint broke!!! new Sumo Gas struts on rear.

---Drivetrain General

standard Gbox, no issues with selection new droplinks all round new wheel bearings on front, drilled and grooved disks with mintex pads all round.

Wolfrace 17inch wheels with 215x40 tyres (which I realise post Blyton are shit!!) they were bought on impulse for MOT purposes offset unknown (need to measure this!!)

so from that starting point here is what I have bought / am in the process of getting

Full FIA approved roll cage

5 point harness

twin pot front calipers with Yellow Stuff pads

LSD gearbox

so looking forward, what should I do?

first point I think should be wheels/tyres for purely track use (8" wide 17") intend rolling arches so what can I get away with (dont want to spacer existing wheels as think this could affect handling.)

Suspension - coilovers or superstrut - supers would be better on road use but are coilies better for track?

Brakes - don't want to go for GT4 four pots as (unless I am incorrect) these are feckin big and will limit the wheel choice! but is it worth upgrading rears beyond the drilled grooved disks that are on it?

induction - intend getting better filter (suggestions please) which ideally will enter from front of car to minimise heat issues or build a shield box (which is not as pretty) on a shorter system.

biggest issue curraently is that the roll cage would mean the rear seat would go (in fact car may need stripped out completely of all comforts (not that htere is many) and I couldn't get both of my sons into the car hence thinking of seperate track car in the future.

there is a lot of questions up here as I really have no focus on the correct way forward, please answer as full on Gen6 track car and for Street / track car, all suggestions welcome!!

(p.s. for those who don't know the car is 'The mistress' on the Gen 6 forum)

Cheers

John

from seeing your car on the track i would say all you need is some new tyres and the knocking bushes sorted at the rear, use the car as a road/track toy. generally speaking the gen 6 is so low and planted that the likelyhood of you going on your roof is pretty rare

your will struggle to get more power out of it without hitting your budget contraints that stop you buying a second car :P but i have heard this car running and it sounds perfectly healthy to me :thumbs:

The four pot st205 calipers are not that big, they easily fit behind 17 inch wheels and I believe some 16 inch too. If your interested I have a good front pair for sale.

The four pot st205 calipers are not that big, they easily fit behind 17 inch wheels and I believe some 16 inch too. If your interested I have a good front pair for sale.

I have also got a pair of these and compared weight with the twin pots i have and there is no real difference in weight (you will need spacers for your wheels though and mac struts require a lot of modification to fit GT4 brakes :( )

Can't you just fit st205 hubs to the st202 to allow fitment of the four pots?

st205 runs superstrut so different hubs, mr mojo's car is on mac suspension and would require machining to get them to fit, cost wise i would just go for the willwoods if i was still on mac

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.