are gen 7s really that bad?

why not do some research and make a Gen 6.5?

gwt a 190 lump from a gen 7 and drop it in, if it will fit that is..........

that way you get to keep your gen 6 exterior but have a better newer engine from the gen 7.

just a thought

other wise come down to my place near brighton and i'll let you have a play on our strips and along the twists of beachy head!

Edited by pestey

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why not do some research and make a Gen 6.5?

gwt a 190 lump from a gen 7 and drop it in, if it will fit that is..........

that way you get to keep your gen 6 exterior but have a better newer engine from the gen 7.

just a thought

other wise come down to my place near brighton and i'll let you have a play on our strips and along the twists of beachy head!

I'm not sure the 190 lump is better than a 3sge somehow??

I'm not really a big fan of the gen 7 to be honest but i quite like the look of the GT and also some of the modified one's.

A standard looking gen 6 or gen 7 wouldn't really be my thing..

Its all a matter of opinions of course but if opinions count for anything I think you have one of the nicest looking gen6's on here, its the best colour for a start has all the right mods and is a great example of a well looked after 6, sure put it up for sale and somebody will take it off your hands no problem. Will you be as happy with a 7? who knows. They are not built as solid as the 6 thats for sure and with age catching them up the crack are starting to appear it seems to me.

What are you looking for, reliability and economy or performance and looks? You cannot have one without compromising the other.

i guess i want a bit power,reliability is key to me as i do about 15k miles a year and something thats also good looking,so guess i want it all lol

again I have owned several gen 6 and seen loads more and I havent seen this rusty wheel arch you talk off

what Looney is trying to do is justify buying a gen 7, Now without anyones hairgel getting messed up the gen 7 was built cheaper than the 6 and as such the interior quality is a bit lower and the engine does suffer more reliability problems over the gen 6 (fact)

but at the end of the day Looney doesn't need to stay with a celica. and before anyone trys to lynch me I have driven all of them and I was recently in a very nice gen 7 GT but still the quality isnt as good as a 6

to looney if your really interested in staying in a celica I would go for a GT4 ( a really good one though) or buy a boosted gen 7 from one of the owners on here that way you will know what your getting

to the people with their nickers in a twist, chill out a bit. all the stuff discussed in here can easily be found with a bit of research all cars have their problems just some more than others :thumbs:

opps i didnt wanna start a war :( i dont think the gen 6 guys are slaggin off the gen 7 i just think they are giving some advise and telling of there experinces,both cars are nice as they are celicas :) and they both have there pros and cons thats face it no car is perfect is it,so both suffer from a few problems,i would like to stay in a celica thats for sure,its just im not sure how much petrol id go tho in a gt4 if i was to find a minter,i could keep mine but would i always be wanting more power after throwing loads of money at it?? i earn ave alot of money i spose im just a forklift driver so not loaded,but am still at home at mo so do have bit spending money each month.......the gen 7 gt was just a option to look at as i think they are nice cars and look nice,but i do love the gen 6s as well,hence why either way i will end up with a celica im sure of it,anyway we are all one club and all our cars are decent,so woooooo sarrrrrrrrrrrrrr lol feel the love its xmas :P any way of working out my fuel bill in a gt4 a month if i was doing 15k a year ? that may help me decide

Edited by looney

The Gen 7 is OK, but lets look at a few of its issues:

Windows. They don't seem to ever seal properly.

Rust. the undersides are incredibly quick to rust up

Brakes. Pure chocolate brake discs, rear calipers seem to be made of similar.

140 engines. Lets face it, they're a really low quality engine for toyota.

Interior plastics. Fade at different rates.

Interior Trim: ohh the noise!

Alloys: 16" ones corroe and at least 2 of the others seem to pay midnight visits to Uri Geller.

190 Engines: Lift bolts anyone?

MAF Sensor issues...

Lets see Gen 6:

The aerial will at some stage die

3SGE eventually starts disliking cold starts

Handbrake cable will eventually need replacing due to seizing.

It looks like Kermit's lovechild.

Never had issues with windows sealing, never seen any with rust, and I looked at a fair few before buying, interior plastics have not faded at all and mine is approaching 8 years old, lift bolts are only issues with pre-facelifts and maf sensor issues are usually only when people go for custom intakes..... so most of your points are invalid! Any car in the world needs (General maintenance to keep it at its best) and car enthusiasts look after their cars so you will never really come across any major issues. The only point that is valid on your list is the brakes being poor, but its not too difficult to sort really.

And I think the rust comment should definitely be on your gen 6 list,

As said mate, you should go and drive some and see what you think for yourself, only you will know if you will like it. I like both generations of the celica, and I would happily own either, but I just prefer a newer car.

Edited by Canon4pics

Ive owned both cars and spent nearly 8 years at Toyota and so i can honestly say that the 7 isnt made to the same standards as early Toyotas but thats not just the gen 7 but toyotas entire model range from about 99 onwards.

That doesnt mean its a bad car - far from it.

I enjoyed mine but id always wanted a GT4 so i scrapped it and bought one.

For the prices they now fetch the 190's are a bargain - they are still far better built than majority of rivals and they do handle well in stock form and on rails with coilovers.

Only you can decide if its right for ya.

If i didnt like my GT4 so much and i was in market for a nice jap coupe id personally go for a Integra DC5

see i do like the dc5s i think they look nice,got the power,and honda are good motors no doubt about it,two things tho,one its a type r and likely to have had the bollocks thrashed out of it,and number 2,for the same price off a 2001 plate dc5 you can get a 2006 celica gt :shrug:

Ive driven a EP3 and yes to get most from it you are in the upper rev range but they aint exactly gutless at low revs.

Rather have a DC5 over any gen7 inc a SC one - as you can SC the DC5 too.

They just look better imo and inside they are streets ahead of the celica in terms of quality and they have Recaro seats - but just my 2p

see i do like the dc5s i think they look nice,got the power,and honda are good motors no doubt about it,two things tho,one its a type r and likely to have had the bollocks thrashed out of it,and number 2,for the same price off a 2001 plate dc5 you can get a 2006 celica gt :shrug:

Being thrashed is EXACTLY what those engines are designed to do, its where they work best, as long as its serviced it would give you no problems what so ever. The cars aren't built with V-tec or Lift for us Toyota folk if the engines are not designed to cope with it.

Oh dear, oh dear!

First it's 6 against 7, then 7 against 6, now were trying to send Looney to the Honda Garage :o

You Know what, there really is only one way to see if you like the 7 and that's drive it!

My opinion, not that it's worth much to anyone else! I think the 7 looks amazing :drool: No it's not quite as well built as the 6 but like said that aint perfect either, Rusty door bottoms, rusty rear arches, rear brakes made out of butter. And the list goes on, Yes they have faults but they are both Celica's and we should love them all!

Oh dear, oh dear!

First it's 6 against 7, then 7 against 6, now were trying to send Looney to the Honda Garage :o

You Know what, there really is only one way to see if you like the 7 and that's drive it!

My opinion, not that it's worth much to anyone else! I think the 7 looks amazing :drool: No it's not quite as well built as the 6 but like said that aint perfect either, Rusty door bottoms, rusty rear arches, rear brakes made out of butter. And the list goes on, Yes they have faults but they are both Celica's and we should love them all!

i think they are trying to send me to the honda garage cos they fed up off my gen 6 vs 7 vs gt4 vs dc5 threads lmao

Only Looney will know whats best for him - id try as many cars as possible and see whats what.

You could get a BMW 330D coupe - plenty of torque and really quick , lots of toys . well built , great MPG and RWD

did look at a few bmws but id like to stay jap to be honest,and i was hoping to stay in the club,right now im thinking its between gt4,dc5,gen 7 gt

Get that Honda out the list :laugh2:

Had

One

Never

Drive

Another

lol thats a bit like the

Fix

Or

Repair

Daily

lol ok so new debate lol gen 7 gt vs dc5,you gotta admite the honda is a mean car and a bit more hardcore id say? the gt is more of a cruiser ? or am i wrong lol

As said ive had a 7 so im no hater but id choose a honda DC5 over a 7 every time - for me just looks so much nicer and inside they are great.

Plus 220BHP as standard , LSD , Brembo 4 pots and as said those recaro seats

true but the gen 7s do look nice once modded up,and the seats in the gt version are very nice also,also my lack of knowledge on the honda front bothers me a bit,and means i wouldnt be in celica club anymore :( i seem to know more about the gen 7s,plus i know everyone on here will always help if i get stuck for anything,hmmmmmmm also all dc5s are imports cos they didnt wanna do the civic type rs sales in here,so no underseal etc

It seems as though your mind is made up.- if its trouble free motoring then no car is going to suit especially a Gt4 as you will be paranoid about anything and everything and it will be a re run of your last ownership experience

Een 7's will need maintenance and do go wrong

There is no way id restrict my choice of car just to stay in a bloody car club :lol;

And the Dc5 is not a lot of car for your money, it's a lot of money for your car. Gen 7's better value!

It seems as though your mind is made up.- if its trouble free motoring then no car is going to suit especially a Gt4 as you will be paranoid about anything and everything and it will be a re run of your last ownership experience

Een 7's will need maintenance and do go wrong

There is no way id restrict my choice of car just to stay in a bloody car club :lol;

Only one answer, Keep yours :clap:

i think both the gen 7 gt and dc5 are top motors if im honest and i spose i cant really go wrong,but as i say you can pick up a 06 plate gt for same price as a dc5 2001 plate,but i have read that the dc5 is one of if not the best fwd handlein car ever made?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.