Importing Parts from Japan

Hi all,

Looking for some advice on this, you may have spotted my other threads that were inevitably going to lead to this.

Im considering the Fujitsubo powergetter as i think it sounds the best, looks the best blah blah blah and im WILLING to spend a bit of cash on it

However, i dont wanna be paying the same price again in shipping etc

So can anyone advise the best practise for importing such a thing from Japan? Nengun performance have the price at £475 for the exhaust and then £700 odd shipped! then theres tax!! making it (waits for the "i told you so's") near on £900....bit much

There must be a cheaper way, like having a company bung it in a container with their stuff for a nominal fee or something right?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Hi all,

Looking for some advice on this, you may have spotted my other threads that were inevitably going to lead to this.

Im considering the Fujitsubo powergetter as i think it sounds the best, looks the best blah blah blah and im WILLING to spend a bit of cash on it

However, i dont wanna be paying the same price again in shipping etc

So can anyone advise the best practise for importing such a thing from Japan? Nengun performance have the price at £475 for the exhaust and then £700 odd shipped! then theres tax!! making it (waits for the "i told you so's") near on £900....bit much

There must be a cheaper way, like having a company bung it in a container with their stuff for a nominal fee or something right?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Find an importation company.

For example: http://www.jm-imports.co.uk/

Ask very nicely if when they're next importing a car can you get this exhaust just popped in the boot or back seat or something and chuck them £100. It'll just be empty space in there anyway so doesn't matter! And I'm sure they wouldn't say no to that! Just a thought...

You could try a quick call to Sonkei http://www.sonkei-imports.co.uk/ , they bring in cars from Japan and might help, or at least advise.

I have thought about that, im pretty sure the kind gent that supplied my CF bonnet gets a container every once in a while, might speak to him.

Waiting on email back from RHD Japan, they seem fairly well set up and supply some Fujitsubo bits already, no listings for ZZT23 celicas for Power Getter but they do for other cars, should be doable id think

Having imported things from Japan I think you will find that customs very easily find things thrown in boots. Not only will you have to pay duty and VAT but the company importing will be heavily fined for trying to sneak an item in. I doubt you'll find anyone to do it that way.

Unfortunately when you add shipping, agents fees, duty, VAT, customs and handling + transportation fees it all adds up. Double sounds a bit high but I generally found that you paid at least +50% on the original price. So buy for £500 expect to pay £750 minimum delivered, in reality more. The other problem is the pound is so weak now it has almost lost half its value against the yen in the last 3 years. This means the price if you are paying in pounds but having to convert to yen can fluctuate over night. Hence why I no longer bother to import as nothing can be had for cheap right now.

However, find a company that will do this for a fixed price and you may be able to keep some of the costs down.

Good stuff, thanks for the advice folks! Definetly food for thought.

Would the best recommendation be to find a UK company who will supply like Funky Power or Sumo Power?

Funky power do the HKS Silent Hi-Power - axle back full stainless and has the quiet then louder feature that i liked about the Fujitsubo.

£559.99 which isnt bad for being in the UK already

Theres not really a way of getting round it. Its one of the necessary evils you have to pay like car insurance unfortunately. Anything coming from abroad with a carparts manufacturers name on the side will automatically be tagged by customs because its clearly valuable and will give a hefty customs charge.

Best bet is to either pay it and be happy with a unique exhaust or get a different one.

rhd japan gave me s price of 735 ish delivered to my door for the fujitsubo power getter.....what do we think?

Sumo Power got back to me saying they do that kind of thing all the time for Fujitsubo parts, so waiting to hear back on a price now :)

Edited by Invisible Dark

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.