Welcome to Celica Club UK

Welcome to Celica Club UK, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
  • Use the wealth of knowledge our members have to help with any questions you may have.

Gen 8 in 2009?

phunky_nick

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Sleeker

I had a conversation at a dealers recently and they seemed to think the Celica was really a UK market thing - fav model , nos in the rest of Europe just didn,t compare , thats why MrT is so non commital on things , we just love our performance cars so much more in this country that theres room for Celicas , Scoobies as well as the Porsches etc , they said how much they were being asked WHEN the next perf model was being anounced , just so sad really that all they can offer is the current range of Dross.

Basically we NEED a sports model ASAP !

Edited by Sleeker

The G7 was a total switch around for Toyota. It went from the older heavier engineered vehicles to a much lighter weight higher revving setup. This coincided with its drop out from rallying and into F1. Dont forget they tried and proved new materials, most notably MMC for manufacture of the engine and gearbox casings. It shows when you get the two units, you can easily lift a G7 engine without a hoist, do that with a G6 block and your going to need some help from a doctor.

They proved the point too. Its easy to forget all about what was actually achieved with the G7 and wobble on about big turbo GT4 cars and the wonderful rallying days but in reality its not as simple as it used to be. Bloody tree huggers LOL

I do think it is about time they caught up though. When other manufacturers are managing to squeeze good performance from NA engines there is no reason why Toyota shouldnt do the same.

The Celica should still be a four pot I think, stick with the same sort of format although they really must bring back an AWD, cant see it happening unless it can be justified entirely from a handling point of view and they go all out for performance as the AWD will kill the MPG, and thats a selling point these days. I think a good strong 2 litre pushing around 250bhp in NA form with a high RPM, packaged in a body as light as the G7 would be great, that would give them a great dinky coupe that should hold up to honda nicely.

The more interesting thing should be a new supra. For me thats got to be a V8, it just wont compete seriously with the offerings from the Germans or even Vauxhall's VXR8 if its not. The price is going to be a big issue here though. The Supra was always too damn expensive. It needs to be coming out for about £35k with all the power and handling needed there in the base model. I'd like to see an extras list that consists of all the junk that you just dont need, auto box, flappy paddles, sat nav, climate control etc. Power and handling all there without any need to spend more money. They do that with a minimum of about 400bhp and RWD and it should be a big winner.

Thats my penneth worth anyway :)

bout time they re-released

lets hope they take the gen 6 as base for body styling i mean if they want it to do well theyll have to base it on something else apart from a gen 7 sommin a little more hardcore like the gen 5 or something and i dont wanna hear anything about the dated looks cos lets face it they fucked up with the 7's so they should have stuck with what works best ie gen 5 &6

Christ, you were straight on the defensive! No one had even mentioned anything about gen6 or 7. But tbh the gen six IS dated, get over it and move one. No one was saying it was a bad thing, it is just a product of the 90's. Just try and enjoy what you have without trying to bring everything else down.

A!

GEN 6 WAS THE BEST LOOKING!!! WITHOUT ROOM FOR DISCUSSION! but i think if they were to make a new celica i think the should remake one of the best celicas made! the GT4 but just make it more reliable!!! DOES ANY ONE AGREE WITH THIS? (not what i sed bout the gen6 bit because thats just a well nown fact :):P:)

but when i went to silverstone to watch the d1 drifting there was a gen 7 GT4 there (conversion) and i was stunning BUT the gen 6 gt4 looks much tougher!!!

Edited by benjiboy87

I think they should go back to the looks of the 70s classics - but brought upto date, a coupe (like ta22) and a liftback (like ra28)

A lot of other manufacturers seem to be doing this successfully at the moment.

As much as i love the brand, i don't think 'Celica' has the kudos, to be able to get away with a retro styled car. Not like say the 'Mustang', or 'Charger'. After all the gen 1 was just a rip off, of american muscle car styling in the first place.

The design above, in my opinion is a stunning, brave piece of design. This is the way the brand should be going. It need to be a showcase of what a small performance car can do, whilst being fuel effiecient, and extremely stylish. The gen7 was being left behind by the current hot hatches, by the time it was killed off. So the new car has to address that by performing better than the current range of hot hatches, whilst being nicer to look at. I would love to see a return to FR configuation, as this is what could give it a real edge over the competition. But keep the engines under 2.0, to keep running costs down.

Edited by werewolf

With regard to retro styling, thats never been what the Celica is about. I have grown up with them and they always have cutting edge up to the minute looks on launch. Wether or not you like it, the Gen 7 still looks hyper modern after it has been discontinued. The 6 has only recently started to look dated, but thats the penalty for being iconic of a certain era and the 5 is a timeless classic.

So any new one will have to look absolutely modern or it will break with a long tradition, if you want retro by a Rover.

Much as I hate to say it the new Hyundai Coupe looks quite interesting :(

that looks nice

toyota3.jpg

but, ( if true) reading that article its plain to see that its going to be dubbed another hairdressers car powered by a hairdryer lol, bet it would sound ok with it being a boxer .

Edited by Kevstir

I quite like this. It's not perfect, it's not finished.

I like how it has the new styling cues, mixed in with some Gen 6 elements.

Those wheel arches have the same animal haunches look of the 6. The front arch carries the shape up into the bonnet as well. At the same time, the headlights are Gen 7 ish.

Rear light cluster is as ugly as sin, though.

If it has the same GT handling characteristics or better, I'd think about it. Once all the gen 6s have rusted into the ground, of course. Let's not rush into this :(

toyota3.jpg

It is rather mean of them not letting us link to their images, but I get the impression that this might be a Scion, rather than a Toyota, and so only available in the US. It is encouraging that Toyota are going for a RWD/AWD layout though.

I am still hoping that the FT-HS will be a Celica (and so £20-25k) rather than a £40k Supra - there did seem to be a 400HP car between the LF-A and the FT-HS a while ago :(

1100kg sounds like an mr2, 2 seat family.

wot no tdi?!

get with it toyota

Wash your mouth out! Lightweight sports isn't going to work with 500kg of oil burner in the front end. The only thing that makes a TDI punchy is the turbo - I'd much, much rather have a 250BHP 1.5l 80kg petrol lump than a handling destroying chunk of iron under the bonnet!

250bhp out of a 1.5l?

best get honda to make it.

the last vvti had enough probs that werent one offs.

whos to say it couldnt be an ally engined tdi? with thicker liners?

Sorry - I meant 1.5L, 250BHP turbo ally petrol lump - I don't want all the torque at 20,000 rpm in my next car :(

Diesel is for low speed torque - tractors and tanks, not sports cars ;)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.