Idle fuel usage?

slybunda

Used the obd app today and noticed a readout for fuel rate. At idle it says its 0.9L per hour.

Am i understanding that right to mean if i idle the car for 1 hour its gonna use 0.9L of fuel?

Also putting the lights on makes revs go up a little and it then says 1.0L per hour.

Quick blip of the throttle to just over 2krpm and the app went to a bit above 2L per hour.

Screenshot_2022-01-28-17-35-58-216_OCTech.Mobile.Applications.OBDLink.thumb.jpg.760c98f3e13f7ece704222b60cfcef24.jpg

• Like 1

1L per hour idling is very low consumption. the likes of AA and RAC and others saying start stop can save loads of fuel etc doesnt make sense if 1L is used per hour then for the few seconds of stop start time its just few drops for the sake of wear on the battery and starter.

maybe im reading it wrong? could it be 1L per hour per injector? that would make it 4L per hour of fuel to idle car for 1 hour?

edit: after doing some online research it looks like its right:

https://www.energy.gov/eere/vehicles/fact-861-february-23-2015-idle-fuel-consumption-selected-gasoline-and-diesel-vehicles

no point me sitting in the car getting cold while kid is at hockey training may as well leave engine on for the hour and get some heat and sound system banging for £1.50 for 1L of fuel.

Edited by slybunda

On 28/01/2022 at 23:04, slybunda said:

1L per hour idling is very low consumption. the likes of AA and RAC and others saying start stop can save loads of fuel etc doesnt make sense if 1L is used per hour then for the few seconds of stop start time its just few drops for the sake of wear on the battery and starter.

maybe im reading it wrong? could it be 1L per hour per injector? that would make it 4L per hour of fuel to idle car for 1 hour?

edit: after doing some online research it looks like its right:

https://www.energy.gov/eere/vehicles/fact-861-february-23-2015-idle-fuel-consumption-selected-gasoline-and-diesel-vehicles

no point me sitting in the car getting cold while kid is at hockey training may as well leave engine on for the hour and get some heat and sound system banging for £1.50 for 1L of fuel.

parents sat outside schools / training grounds idling whilst they wait for there kids is one of my pet hates

20 minutes ago, slybunda said:

How come you dont like idling?

Has the whole pollution thing passed you by? I'm with AMS on this one, it's very anti-social. Walking past a line of cars all sat there idling is not a nice experience.

Understand if its a diesel then your getting cancer. Petrol ok unless its been decatted.

I remember back in the 80s the air really was a lot dirtier with smog and acid rain. No way near as bad as that. With electric cars on the horizon and all out ban on combustion engines come 2030 its interesting times ahead.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.