Hole in exhaust backbox?

slybunda

Got mot done today and was advised i got a very tiny hole in the joint that goes into the side of the backbox from cat. Hole is around 2mm big. Guy said for something that small repair putty would be simpler than welding. 

Any ideas what i can use?

Car is gen7 190 original system.

Edited by slybunda

Hahah a trip to alunox i guess?

Iv been watching some YouTube vids and reading up on forums, i can use something like gun gum which is supposed to be a permanent fix putty.

Weather being colder now means i will tackle this next year.

Hole is big enough to get a toothpick in it. Mot man wouldn't have seen it if i had not told him to do a thorough check on the exhaust since it sounded different from few years back. 

2 hours ago, slybunda said:

Mot man wouldn't have seen it if i had not told him to do a thorough check on the exhaust since it sounded different from few years back. 

It may cause issues with the emissions test sooner or later (?)

What i've found, and others too, is the original OEM mild steel exhaust systems are becoming too old and cruddy, they hold back on good & smooth engine performance.

Why not seek out a good local exhaust fabricator and replace with new stainless.

A cat-back won't cost anywhere near as much as i paid, or if you intend to keep the car for the foreseeable, consider having the cat cut out and put into a complete new SS system - as long as the cat is still functioning efficiently.

10 hours ago, Crazy Cat Lady said:

Why not seek out a good local exhaust fabricator and replace with new stainless.

I think the risk with getting one made is that you don't know what you will get until you've got it it, and then you may not like it, though I guess that would be true of non-OEM mild steel too. That's why your SS was interesting, but obviously Alunox may be a hard to do trip.

What i don't like about alunox is they dont have a cnc mandrel bender so have to rely on welding multiple pipe sections together. And when it comes to exhausts its usually the weld joints that fail first. So thats just multiple failure points which is not worth the hassle or money to me.

Looks like im gonna go with this method below:

https://youtu.be/wTNnLYRAv9U

That way it will reinforce the joint too and outlive the backboxes remaining life.

The flexi clamp thingy and the putty from eurocarparts comes to total of around £7.30p

Even cheaper from carparts4less but then there is delivery cost if you dont spend more than a certain amount.

11 hours ago, maizey said:

"J B weld"  seems good for almost any repair,the americans seem to use it for anything and everything. £5.33 on Amazon

See videos of this where one guy makes a petrol lawnmower cylinder head out of jbweld and it works.

Edited by slybunda

Tried that too in the past with no success. Anything like that will only work if the exhaust is solid but with a small hole, a very rare occurence. Normally a hole forms at the thinnest part with the remainder not far behind.

Heh, hopefully buys me more time so i can think about exhaust options.

Thinking i should have got in on the group buy of the invidia n1 when i had the chance but was always worried it would be too loud.

There is some 2nd hand ones about but again dont want to be in the same position again few years down the line.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.