Spot the problem...

So my car is currently on stands and the engine is being taken to bits. Finally found the culprit today! It wasn't the aircon like I first thought. Can you see the problem?

Oh and its not the oil leak...

and to those that already know please don't spoil it. No one has managed to work it out so far. I want to see if Actual Celica lovers can spot it.

pulley.jpg

43 minutes ago, Xanadu said:

Sometimes there are two different belts available for the same engine - with AC / without AC.

Someone ordered the wrong part?   :think:

Yeah I suppose if they ordered the first belt they came across and then just went f##k it and fitted it anyway. I can't see any other way unless there is some crazy routing going on. Would like to see if the rest is right.

nope there are two belt sizes. So the belt shredded on mine and I thought the AC was as fault cause every time i turned the AC on it would make a noise. The only spare belt i had available was an AC delete so put that on s I thought the AC was the issue anyway. Look at the crank pulley carefully... I have attached a picture of a new one. can you see the difference yet?

pulley new.jpeg

You've shown the back of the new one so I can't compare, but I'm guessing you have a misalignment (probably what shredded the belt) and it's down to the rubber for the dual mass pulley coming unstuck. If you've tried checking timing like this, it's probably miles out.

Don't go for a solid pulley, as some do, or crank failure may well follow.

• 1 year later...

Well believe it or not the saga of this continues.... 

So as i said before i thought the aircon was the issue as i had a noise from it. well Found out the pulley was what caused the belt to go and me over heat. Sadly as I had to replace the head gasket and i had been driving it before i realised the gasket was gone the bottom end bearings were damaged. I have since pulled the sump off to look and the engine is toast. I have stripped the new parts i put on when i did the head gasket to use again in the future. timing chains are not cheap lol. I have a new engine to go in from the lads at SJ Autosports. Just got to put it in now. was hoping to have it running by the weekend but sadly the flywheel looks a little past it. so order more new parts... yay for credit cards.

• Sad 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/06/2023 at 10:01, slybunda said:

Holy moly sounds costly. Do they still make new crank pulleys? If so how much, will remember to change mine if iv ever got it off.

i got mine on ebay for about £200. brand new toyota one. otherwise i couldn't tell you if they are still available. As these engines are getting to 150k+ its def worth checking with routine maintenance. They are actually pretty simple to get off. there are 4 holes in the middle. two of the (opposites) are threaded. just thread in an appropriate size bolt. (about m8 i think) and just screw them in a couple turns each and it eventually pushes the pulley of. no special tools needed. I would run a tap in the threads first with some wd40 to make sure they are clean and easy to thread. i happened to snap a bolt in one of them. fortunately it was the old pulley off the new engine. I had put a new 200 pound pulley on the old engine... bet your ass i was transferring that over.

Booked in for MOT on tuesday so i prey that it goes through. I dont know how much more public transport my body can take. I dont wanna know how much i spent getting this car back on the road... I know i still got stuff to do to it as well. wanna get a few bits of rust sorted underneath during the summer so its solid and protected come winter, also wanna cleanup and replace the bushes for the front and rear subframe and running gear. again probably a summer job that i will start saving for now ready to do when its needed.

Will update the build thread at some point as i have fallen in love with he car again and got big plans.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.