The first Toyota sports car (in the US)?

Interesting outing for Jay Leno’s Garage: 1971 Toyota Celica

Although it does irk slightly with the American pronunciation: “Sell – i -ka” 

Doesn’t sound right, to me. One yank I knew, used to say “Silly-Ka” (with a straight face - he wasn't known for his humour)

For me it’s always been “Sell-EE-Ka”. If I recall correctly, it translates to “heavenly” in Japanese.
Anyone know how the Japanese pronounce it? Being a Japanese car, they get the last word. :giveup:

14 minutes ago, 77 Liftback said:

In the Jay Leno video at 14.42 (and at the very beginning) the former Toyota product planner  say " This was the first sports car that Toyota built "

Has he not heard of the S800  and the 2000GT ?..

Perhaps with the caveat of being available in the US? https://pressroom.toyota.com/company-history/ makes no mention of some of the sportier models.

In the video he doesnt say the Celica is the  first Toyota sports sold in the US , he just says its the  " the first sports car Toyota built " 

According to Toyota GB , 62 lhd 2000 GT's were built for the US market 

Toyota 2000GT for sale - now sold! - Toyota UK Magazine

this Solar Red example was built in 1967 and wears chassis number MF10-10100. This means it was the one-hundredth car of a grand total of 351 units made during the model’s short, three-year production run. But more than that, it is one of only 62 cars made in left-hand drive for the important United States export market.

Ref the S 800 , according to Toyota GB , they were never officially sold in the US althou 300 lhd cars were made for American military occupying in Okinawa 

Toyota Sports 800 - history of a sports car - Toyota UK Magazine

Never officially sold or exported outside of Japan, the vast majority of Toyota Sport 800s were right-hand drive. However, approximately 300 were specially made in left-hand drive for members of the American military occupying Okinawa, a handful of which have subsequently been personally imported to the States.

Guess it could also be argued that the Corona 1600 GT Hardtop Coupe ( RT55 ) introduced in 1967 was also a Toyota sports car. It was launched in 1967 , 3 years before the Celica

1967_Toyota_1600GT_01.thumb.jpg.5060dcdc71ae7d7c14bd4c24fd7d7432.jpg

1920px-Toyota_9R_engine.thumb.jpg.f7f9d5a43ac68e2550602dfddeb9407e.jpg

16 hours ago, 77 Liftback said:

Guess it could also be argued that the Corona 1600 GT Hardtop Coupe ( RT55 ) introduced in 1967 was also a Toyota sports car. It was launched in 1967 , 3 years before the Celica

1967_Toyota_1600GT_01.thumb.jpg.5060dcdc71ae7d7c14bd4c24fd7d7432.jpg

Eeeeeuuuuuuwwwww. Sports car? I think not. It looks like a custard Lada. Couldn't pay me to drive that. :hysterical:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.