How to find the Original registration of a JDM car.

A question popped up on one of the Celica FB pages asking if there is any way of finding the original registration of a JDM car before it was imported to the UK.

This would be cool to find out as it could be a way of getting some show plates made up and be as original as possible rather than just having some random Japanese plates.

Also it would be nice to find out the history of the car too as I am not the first UK owner so don't have any import papers.

Does anyone know if this can be done and if so how to go about getting info. 

• Like 2

I have my import papers back at home - don’t think it’s on there but will take a look when get back. Do like the idea of knowing it and getting show plates !

also my brother lives in Japan, wander if service over there to check vin number to find ref number 

• Like 2

I know this won’t help you, but found mine on the export certificate

MIE 300 RO 3338

export certificate interesting as has the weight on it 1160kgs originally, bit lighter than the wiki has a GT.

Edited by digs

Right, you need to do a Jap vehicle check which is around £12 apparently.

You then get an email back from them with all the info including the jap reg number.

Then it’s a case of getting someone to make the plates up 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.