New exhaust system in the pipe line...

2 hours ago, trophytr5 said:

Can I ask? - How much?

£950 + VAT

This includes replacing the down-pipe from the manifold and reusing the original cat, they didn't have any problems welding it up to the new 304 SS.

May seem a lot, and it is, but it's quality, and works out to be about the same cost of a brand new genuine mild steel Toyota mid-section alone.

6 hours ago, Crazy Cat Lady said:

£950 + VAT

OMG, a total of £1,140

I hope that comes with a lifetime guarantee.

Edit: I've just checked their website.

"Your System/Part is warranted only to The Original Purchaser to be free from defects in materials and workmanship. No other warranty is given or otherwise implied and the use of the System/Part in a racing engine/car or any other environment is entirely at The Original Purchasers risk and undertaking."

Edited by Xanadu

21 hours ago, Crazy Cat Lady said:

The new Alunox custom fit exhaust system has transformed the engine performance with noticeable more torque, not huge but it definitely picks up better from low revs. I opted for a quiet system, probably too quiet for most of you chavs here :lol: but i'm very happy with the results, plus no nauseous cabin drone at all, at motorway cruising speed it's so peaceful one can hear sparrows fart as they fly past, and the CD/Radio resolution benefits from the tranquility too. Perfect! :thumbsup:

That's all good; the Gen7 is never described as a having too much torque.

As for sparrows farting at cruising speed on a motorway; it must have been a motorway resurfaced by exceptional workmen the day previously. You could put an electric motor in a Gen7 and it would still be noisy on the motorway.

I went to my mate's garage a few days ago for my pre-MOT and he reckoned my exhaust will get through; so my Yorkshire gene is baulking at the idea if replacing it before it is absolutely necessary <_<.

Edited by bazz54

3 hours ago, Crazy Cat Lady said:

Yes it's great value for money, about the same expense as a mere 4 years VED :lol:

You got off a bit lighter than me! Mine was £1440 total but it's Alunox quality so well worth it ;)

20 hours ago, Crazy Cat Lady said:

£950 + VAT

This includes replacing the down-pipe from the manifold and reusing the original cat, they didn't have any problems welding it up to the new 304 SS.

May seem a lot, and it is, but it's quality, and works out to be about the same cost of a brand new genuine mild steel Toyota mid-section alone.

As I recall, Mr T quoted me over £1,300 inc VAT for the mid-ection, fitted, with a 6 week wait for it to come from Japan. So, a good deal

• Like 1

expensive but your having a big transformation to the car debs looks good , your have to get a snippet of it in action ...i did a quick slower drive a few years ago on my industrial estate as others wanted to hear mine i hooked up my action camera to my jdm tow hook using the velcro mount ...was quite impressed how it come out :

4 hours ago, Akuma77 said:

expensive but your having a big transformation to the car debs looks good , your have to get a snippet of it in action ...i did a quick slower drive a few years ago on my industrial estate as others wanted to hear mine i hooked up my action camera to my jdm tow hook using the velcro mount ...was quite impressed how it come out :

There are various options and ways to have a SS custom fit exhaust, it's great we have choice to suit out personal requirements.

The important thing is we get what we want.

The original system on my car was blowing at the rear silencer, and the inlet pipe adjoining it was holed too and threatening to come away. The decision i made to replace it is  expensive but a very nice piece of metal craftwork, i wasn't expecting the engine to become so more perky and smooth, it's a real joy to drive now.

There remains a sporty riff with higher revs but even this is subdued in volume, don't think it's gained any more horses at higher revs [not sure yet] but need to be careful in 30 and 40mph zones due to quieter and smoother ease of acceleration. A far more refined car to drive now, except my ears are focused on a worn ARB bush clunk which has been there for some time but is on my things to do list.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, trophytr5 said:

As I recall, Mr T quoted me over £1,300 inc VAT for the mid-ection, fitted, with a 6 week wait for it to come from Japan. So, a good deal

It would be better if Mr.T sold the genuine original OEM cat separately; minus the weight and length of mild steel pipe and resonator to simplify packaging and greatly lower the cost overall.

I wonder what the mark-up by the Toyota dealers is? I wanted a refurb kit for the front caliper a few weeks ago and the local dealer wanted £102. Got some genuine Toyota parts via ebay for £26.

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/06/2021 at 12:16, Crazy Cat Lady said:

£950 + VAT

Manifold back exhaust from mr t inc cat is 1200 from listers toyota. Could probably haggle them down a little too.

Cant help but feel that you over paid for that exhaust in my own personal opinion.

Not saying it's bad quality or anything like that just that me personally cannot justify buying a catback exhaust system that costs as much as the car does.

Edited by slybunda

34 minutes ago, slybunda said:

Manifold back exhaust from mr t inc cat is 1200 from listers toyota. Could probably haggle them down a little too.

Cant help but feel that you over paid for that exhaust in my own personal opinion.

Not saying it's bad quality or anything like that just that me personally cannot justify buying a catback exhaust system that costs as much as the car does.

So what's a fair price for a custom exhaust sly?

41 minutes ago, slybunda said:

Overpaid for the exhaust which is one of the best quality exhausts you can buy, or overpaid because the car itself isn't worth enough? It's a real distinction in my mind. This company make exhausts for race cars every day of the week. They are very highly regarded within the industry.

not sure but those that got in on the group buy for the invidia n1 are laughing now, i should have got in on that action but was afraid it may be too loud.

i prefer off the shelf systems like magnex (have one on the fiesta cost £280 from demontweeks in 2002 so lasted 19 years and still looks mint), milltek, etc. they are stainless steel and usually good on price. 

powerflow dealers usually sort out catbacks for 300 ish too.

i like the sound of the original exhaust, its quiet when pootling around and even in lift you can hear the engine rather than the exhaust.

when the time comes and i need a replacement i will get one that is a replication of the original one but in stainless.

On 23/06/2021 at 22:38, meirion said:

Overpaid for the exhaust which is one of the best quality exhausts you can buy, or overpaid because the car itself isn't worth enough? It's a real distinction in my mind. This company make exhausts for race cars every day of the week. They are very highly regarded within the industry.

dont get me wrong im not knocking the quality of it, but for the cost i paid £280 inc vat + £15 fitting for my fiestas magnex catback system and its served me for 21 years and still going strong. i ask myself what more would a 800 quid exhaust have offered me over my 280 quid one?

fiesta exh1.jpg

fiestaexh2.jpg

pics are from a wheel alignment few years back.

Edited by slybunda
Dates

9 minutes ago, slybunda said:

not sure but those that got in on the group buy for the invidia n1 are laughing now, i should have got in on that action but was afraid it may be too loud.

i prefer off the shelf systems like magnex (have one on the fiesta cost £280 from demontweeks in 2002 so lasted 21 years and still looks mint), milltek, etc. they are stainless steel and usually good on price. 

powerflow dealers usually sort out catbacks for 300 ish too.

i like the sound of the original exhaust, its quiet when pootling around and even in lift you can hear the engine rather than the exhaust.

when the time comes and i need a replacement i will get one that is a replication of the original one but in stainless.

Horses for courses then really. I got my system from Alunox, the same as CrazyCatLady and I paid just over £1400 for it. I've always wanted quality in everything I buy. I may be a sucker but I've never been let down by any of my purchases. :thumbs:

• Like 1

that Alunox will easily outlast the car lol. who knows maybe you can sell it on in 20 years time and get most of the cash back :lol:

cant say the same for my fiestas exhaust clamps:

replaced it originally with the same type.

clamp1.jpg

but little do people know how long i kept this car. used as a daily driver for 23 years the replacement clamp died again. this time i was a lot older and smarter and went with stainless steel band clamp.

will check it again in 20 years time hopefully its not rusted up like the previous ones lol.

clamp2.jpg

Edited by slybunda
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, slybunda said:

I couldn't agree more with this ^ :thumbsup:

But you pays your money and makes your choice.

What i've purchased is not a cat-back, it is a complete manifold back system but using the original cat which is still in excellent condition.

They have fashioned the system very similar to the original spec, but in 304 Stainless mandrel bent tubes.

This is craftsmanship constructed by someone very skilled and happy in his work.

It's incredible how smooth and refined the engine feels now with the Alunox system, more power, and with a quicker and perkier pick up.

It is an absolute joy to drive.

The sounds it does produce now are very easy on the ear but remain sporty in a reserved kind of way. It won't frighten the horses.

But am still utterly staggered how well the engine responds now, like a new car, the engine must love the new system which has given it a new pair of lungs and a big heart.

Worth every penny it cost IME B)

• Like 1

One thing i hate is that drowning noise on the motorway. Iv been in some chav cars and no way i can last even a short trip when exhaust is making that noise constantly.

Also how much more does a titanium system cost?

A friend and I were discussing this subject in the pub yesterday and he pointed out that cats have a limited life. 

A quick search of t'interweb says 70K to 100K miles or 10 years, less for cars used for short journeys, more for one that get really warmed up.

So putting original cat in a SS system makes some sense because it's going to have to be replaced at some point even it was in stainless

The problem comes when you need to replace it.

What do you use?

my fiesta has original factory cat on it which is now 26 years old. car has 83k miles on it and still passes emissions so cat still works. aftermarket cat i be lucky if its still passing mot after 3 years. but then iv seen people pass emissions with a hollowed out cat too. so i guess it may be down to engine condition, tune etc etc

allowed emission is 0.2% my fiesta scored 0.013%

Edited by slybunda

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.