New exhaust system in the pipe line...

My Gen 7 is presently undergoing a complete new exhaust system fitment with an expert fabricator.

All new 304 stainless steel from manifold to tailpipe but with the exception of reusing the original cat; confirmed by the MOT tester to be working very well.

I've asked for the the new system sound as legal as the OEM system.

Very excited about it, told them there is no urgency and take the time they need to do a good job, although i think good jobs is all they do.

The picture below is a recent snap on their facebook page of a Yaris GR with some titanium bling;

but look at what's waiting in the background B) 

OEeDNln.jpg?1

More news and photo updates later :thumbsup:

Debs

• Like 1

So it's legal on sound level, but does that mean it could still be noisier than the OEM?.  Personally, I think the standard Gen7 is noisy enough (though mostly road noise), so stainless is appealing, but don't want want any more noise.  Sorry to ask but is the Red edition a 140 or 190; suppose it has to be the latter ;)? My 140's exhaust has lasted a long time, but will need replacing  one day.

Edited by bazz54

15 minutes ago, bazz54 said:

So it's legal on sound level, but does that mean it could still be noisier than the OEM?.  Personally, I think the standard Gen7 is noisy enough (though mostly road noise), so stainless is appealing, but don't want want any more noise.  Sorry to ask but is the Red edition a 140 or 190; suppose it has to be the latter ;)? My 140's exhaust has lasted a long time, but will need replacing  one day.

Can’t be louder than stock to be legal. Not likely you’ll fail an MOT or get pulled over unless it really is too loud, but strictly it’s illegal to modify an exhaust to make it louder than stock

3 minutes ago, Chaotic.Entity said:

Can’t be louder than stock to be legal. Not likely you’ll fail an MOT or get pulled over unless it really is too loud, but strictly it’s illegal to modify an exhaust to make it louder than stock

Good point! But as we all know, it is one area where some "margins" seem to be acceptable. I wonder if Alunox has a good noise meter?

Alunox is one of the best exhaust manufacturers out there. I had them do an OEM "copy" for my ST205. Pure quality and they do a lot of motorsport stuff. You pay for quality but that's life eh :thumbs: Your car on Llay Industrial Estate now?

10 minutes ago, meirion said:

Your car on Llay Industrial Estate now?

Yes, it's the weekend right now but it's languishing in the tube bending parlour awaiting the exquisite pipe pandering next week :thumbsup:

<>

As far as noise levels are concerned, they know i want a quiet system, as quiet or as noisy as the OEM ball park.

It will probably sound different from the original due to the different tubing and construction but we will have to see ( ...and hear ) 

42 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady said:

Yes, it's the weekend right now but it's languishing in the tube bending parlour awaiting the exquisite pipe pandering next week :thumbsup:

<>

As far as noise levels are concerned, they know i want a quiet system, as quiet or as noisy as the OEM ball park.

It will probably sound different from the original due to the different tubing and construction but we will have to see ( ...and hear ) 

Yeah, mine sounds very slightly deeper in tone which is nice. No complaints from me :lol:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bazz54 said:

Sorry to ask but is the Red edition a 140 or 190; suppose it has to be the latter ;)? My 140's exhaust has lasted a long time, but will need replacing  one day.

The 'Edition' models are 140s including mine, but i'm sure you know this already ;)

I actually prefer the 140 engine spec and bought one though choice, although i can understand why many prefer the more performance related TSport.

Read somewhere on this forum that a rear silencer with the word FUTABA and 12207 means it is not the original but a genuine Toyota replacement to meet OEM spec, not sure if this is true because mine came with full service history which doesn't include any exhaust change parts.

If the Futaba can on mine is the original like i suspect then it's done very well for 16 years.

ZmSTcHe.jpg?1

Edited by Crazy Cat Lady
add photo

1 hour ago, Crazy Cat Lady said:

The 'Edition' models are 140s including mine, but i'm sure you know this already ;)

I actually prefer the 140 engine spec and bought one though choice, although i can understand why many prefer the more performance related TSport.

No; genuinely, the "Edition" models was something I only found out about when you told me last week.

I recall Gavin Lewerne saying that the box ratios on the 140 (different from the 190) raised some interesting questions about which actually drives better, but I've no interest in fighting arguments over it, but I will simply state that the pre-face is the best-looking car :), and if the 140 is the best driving car, that's fine :):).

Please keep us posted on your new exhaust - my time can not be that far way and I'm not really that keen to pay Mr T's prices for a mild steel. The MoT is in 2 weeks time; think we're OK.   Re 'they can take their time over it', so are they making the components which will be "pulled together" when you go in to have them fitted?

Can I ask why you opted to retain the original cat?

Cost? Availability? Fear of failing MoT?

I had a local guy research a making and fitting an SS system for the GT and he got stuck on geeting a cat and, strangely, the tip

2 hours ago, trophytr5 said:

Can I ask why you opted to retain the original cat?

Cost? Availability? Fear of failing MoT?

Yes to the above.

Apparently the OEM cat is better than any alternative make replacement which maybe troublesome and not last long.

The MOT tester confirmed the OEM cat is working in good order [milage 65k]

6 hours ago, Crazy Cat Lady said:

Yes to the above.

Apparently the OEM cat is better than any alternative make replacement which maybe troublesome and not last long.

The MOT tester confirmed the OEM cat is working in good order [milage 65k]

Bugger!!!

If I'd known that I'd have kept the old one when the centre section was replaced with a pattern one, due to the original having rusted elsewhere

very nice debs , ive had my fabricated exhaust for nearly 6 years so far , mine was a fabricated backbox with a smaller box towards the flange but its lighter than the stock version and sounds great ...i opted for mid range on mine so its a bit louder but not so much on tickover but its in between loud and OE  :

126236003_720844812181921_3486044046685478097_n.thumb.jpg.4e76f68b3199b840c84eb11b3a7465b4.jpg

171564531_956991715035111_7709430343023175955_n.thumb.jpg.1ed723f8b23d3079de03d7d437417d02.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Akuma77 said:

mine was a fabricated backbox with a smaller box towards the flange but its lighter than the stock version and sounds great ...i opted for mid range on mine so its a bit louder but not so much on tickover but its in between loud and OE  :

You were lucky to get a good job done and a great deal some years ago when custom exhaust build prices were far more affordable, it would appear that costs and prices have sky rocketed since.

I also get the impression it's easier and less expensive to built a noisy exhaust system than a quiet one, and it's not just about decibels but how the tuneful the sound becomes, and the effect upon engine efficiency and power.

It will be interesting to hear what the Crazy Cat Car sounds and drives like, maybe as soon as tomorrow B)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crazy Cat Lady said:

You were lucky to get a good job done and a great deal some years ago when custom exhaust build prices were far more affordable, it would appear that costs and prices have sky rocketed since.

I also get the impression it's easier and less expensive to built a noisy exhaust system than a quiet one, and it's not just about decibels but how the tuneful the sound becomes, and the effect upon engine efficiency and power.

It will be interesting to hear what the Crazy Cat Car sounds and drives like, maybe as soon as tomorrow B)

yeah your right debs , i paid £180 for mine with lifetime guarantee but even the place i had it done charges £300+ now ...apparently i was told i can get the tailpipe changed for about £60 if i wanted to ... but i think im happy with my 4" round version as it sort of contours to the bumper too and doesnt stick out too much .

4mTXCE1.jpg

The new Alunox custom fit exhaust system has transformed the engine performance with noticeable more torque, not huge but it definitely picks up better from low revs.

The drive is far smoother than with the old system, i didn't realise how much refinement the original rusty old pipework was holding back.

Should have got this done this years ago :doh:

I opted for a quiet system, probably too quiet for most of you chavs here :lol: but i'm very happy with the results, plus no nauseous cabin drone at all, at motorway cruising speed it's so peaceful one can hear sparrows fart as they fly past, and the CD/Radio resolution benefits from the tranquility too. Perfect! :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.