Tips for jacking up car HIGH

Jim881

Hi all,

I am pretty much ready to remove the rear subframe of my gen 7 and am looking at purchasing a decent high trolley jack as my Halfords one only goes up to 380mm which has always been to low really. I would also like some tips on supporting the car while i prep the underside. The sills will be coming off so any tips on how to get the car at a decent working height would be appreciated.

Jim

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

A set of four axle stands will be needed if you want to support the front and rear at the same time.

You can gain some extra height by placing your 380mm jack on top of some old bricks or timber that you might have laying around.

• Like 1

So did some digging around and bought these. Axle stands are overkill but they go up to 560mm for plenty of clearance. The 2 ton ones only went up tp 420mm. Treated myself to a decent low profile jacl too.20f8aa7ed1ed914ddba039b3655faae4.jpg

• Like 1

I remember a few years ago there were some community type garages that basically allowed you to use lifts and tools, like workshops for rent. Are they still a thing? And could you use that for this? Maybe I'm an old man these days, but a lift would seem great for this kind of thing.

I remember a few years ago there were some community type garages that basically allowed you to use lifts and tools, like workshops for rent. Are they still a thing? And could you use that for this? Maybe I'm an old man these days, but a lift would seem great for this kind of thing.
I think it still is a thing mate but this will be a lengthy process with a few hours here and there. I can imagine there will be a few hours work in removing the old underseal and recoating. Add the subframe work on top of that it will need to be on a lift for a while. I'm also trying to achieve this on my drive so I can just pop out now and again when the kids let me :)

It might take significantly less time with good access and having all the tools you need available, as well as some guidance?

Alternatively, get the kids to do it, you'll not need to jack up the car quite so high.

• Haha 1

It might take significantly less time with good access and having all the tools you need available, as well as some guidance?

Alternatively, get the kids to do it, you'll not need to jack up the car quite so high.
Had a look and it's 20 quid an hour near me. Driveway with the little man is the way forward :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.