Anyone ever had a part 3D printed for their car?

Santiago

It seems as though this is going to be the way forward for parts on our cars that we can no longer get. Just wondering if anyone has got to the point where they haven't found what they want and had it 3D printed instead. I've a Gen 4 165 and its such a challenge to find anything I want. Currently on the look out for an exterior trim piece that forms part of the bodykit, its pritty much all I need in order get the ball rolling and get it painted! I've got one on each side so I was just wondering if it would be possible to get it scanned in and make up an identical model using this form of printing. If anyone can share some information on them i'd be interested to read it.  I'll add a photo below of the part I need 

92160476_250412792780196_8504301980728950784_n.thumb.jpg.362755692297229ff4f0d252f189f625.jpg

I got a 3d printer to be able to make stuff for my car but not actually done that yet, Been upgrading the printer slowly so it will print with other materials which are suitable for the engine bay etc. If anyone has ideas of stuff that can be made give me a shout. I can make the parcel shelf brackets as already mentioned as i have the stl files for them.

• Like 2

On 01/02/2021 at 09:23, ams said:

is it different from the celica st162?

I might have one later this week

Gary loveday on facebook makes the shelf clips -  ive sent him a screeshot of this request

I can't say for sure but I think they would be? someone would have to confirm for me. Cheers for that

2 hours ago, Santiago said:

Ah no thats not quite right the 165 GT4s had body colored side strips to go with the bodykit they got from factory. Appreciate the picture though   

Is it not just painted? Do you have a pic of the other side?

ignore that - just spoke to rich and he reminded it what it looks like .

Edited by ams
X
  • Like 1

I've got a 3D printed part on my Legacy. It's quite useful but you need to make sure that the right material is used, for instance petrol & oil resistant if it goes anywhere near.

The bigger problem is getting an STL file of the part you want made.

• Like 1

As you know, I need the exact same part! But with the integrated turn signal slot (Pictured below). The ST165 strip is taller and thicker than the ST162 strip, plus there are a couple of chamfered edges to match the bodykit.

If I had an existing one to use as a template, I'd print it. I have a Creality C10 printer which is now up and running, and Autodesk inventor - but just need the part.  :lol:

I might have access to the part in a month. I have one strip for the drivers' side - But it's located at the other side of the country, locked-up in a paint shop who's owner I am pissed off with for doing such a poor job on my car. We'll see in a few weeks!

Edit: If I manage to get my new strips sorted, you're welcome to have my old ones (UK spec, without turn signal holes). 

20200731_175047.jpg

Edited by jacoja06
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

You should be able to get it printed, I designed a mould for my custom intake manifold using a 3D printer. As I only needed the ends mating nicely I used a scanner with rule (for scale) to get the correct alignment. Then worked some carbon wizardy with the mould.

if you’re on Facebook 3dprintmyride is full of people that do just what you’re after some have access to CMM’s, although I’ve not used mine for car parts they will give a very accurate measurement of your other side which can be flipped on cad easily enough prior to printing.

• Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.