Celica Trademark

GT1994

Few days ago I saw a story that in the US, Toyota had filed a trademark application for the Celica name . As a result several other sites picked up and rumours have been floating around about the Celica name being used on a model. The strongest link is rebranding the GT86 as the Celica as apparently Toyota are changing the name of their boxer engine twin. 

Unlikely as with Gazoo Racing being Toyota's works team in World Endurance and World Rally Championships and other Motorsports, the GR name is being used on both the Yaris and Supra as top spec models and trim levels on the Corrola and C-HR . It's being hinted it will become the GR86 (Edit: found a trademark registered in the UK for a GR86 UK00917958241) Oh well I'm sure the underpinnings of the GR Yaris on a GT86 would sell.

Anyway I thought I would do some digging as trademarks have different lengths in other countries.

In Japan the Celica Trademark is still active until May 2022 after last being renewed in April 2012 (under S45-079533). It's always been updated every 10 years ever since being accepted in 1972.

In the UK there is two Celica Trademarks registered by Toyota. UK00000972418 registered on the 17th March 1971 and up for renewal on the 17th March 2026 which applies to Class 12- Land Vehicles.

The other is UK00900280511 filed 1st April 1996 and for renewal 1st April 2026 under Class 8- Tools, Class 12-Land Vehicles and Class 16- Printed Matter/ Operating Manuals.

Also the Celica Supra trademark first filed on the 5th September 1978 is still active until 5th September 2029 again under Class 12.

Take it with a pinch of salt but going through the UK trademarks there was several Toyota trademarks that have expired and not renewed such as Toyota MR2 and Toyota Aygo. (Edit: although Toyota MR2 and Toyota Aygo trademarks have expired, MR2 and Aygo are still in date trademarks) Maybe it's just protecting their property so no one else can use it but the Supra name returned after 17 years so you never know.

Do you think it's likely we will get an 8th Gen or will the Celica remain in the history books?

Edited by GT1994
Found further trademarks including one for a GR86 (years of academy training wasted )

Cant imagine it costs a lot to renew a trademark and would think its a just in case thing more than anything else. 

If they do bring out a celica - I want it to be a proper toyota

I would have considered the new supra if it was a toyota - I like BMWs but I dont want one, sorry but the build quality is not the same which shows when cars get 10-20 years old. I dont buy into the reason being that the heart of supra was a straight 6. They could have used the lexus RC platform which would have given them a 2.0 turbo, hybrid, 3,5 v6 4wd and a 5.0 v8 monster for not a lot of effort - and with all those platform options I reckon it would probably sell a lot better as well .

• Like 1

It's probably a few hundred quid which of course is nothing really. Its likely they renew it so they will always own the name but always possible.

I understood why Toyota teamed with Subaru and BMW to make the Supra/Z4 and GT86/BRZ but then it made no sense as soon as the GR Yaris was announced as all in house build. 

If we don't see a Celica then I'm sure the G16E-GTS engine from the Yaris will live on. I think we can all agree as long as Celica doesn't become like the Puma, Mustang or Eclipse and used on a crossover we can all sleep at night.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.