E10 fuel

its_true1

E10 will run a little lean which should be compensated by the closed loop control from the lambda sensor. Ethanol has a higher RON than petrol so detonation shouldn't be a problem.

The biggest potential danger is the GT4 version which goes open loop on boost and will therefore run weaker at a time when running weak can melt things. Standard ECU's have a goos safety margin so should be ok. Aftermarket ECU's are another story.

On 21/11/2020 at 20:31, _Chris_ said:

E10 will run a little lean which should be compensated by the closed loop control from the lambda sensor. Ethanol has a higher RON than petrol so detonation shouldn't be a problem.

The biggest potential danger is the GT4 version which goes open loop on boost and will therefore run weaker at a time when running weak can melt things. Standard ECU's have a goos safety margin so should be ok. Aftermarket ECU's are another story.

Hi Chris need help my mechanic just done clutch on my Celica gen6 st202 ,the speedo wires were taped up from before so his not sure which wire goes where we got 1-red 2 blues going to a sensor on the gearbox any images or pictures pls. help would be much appreciated.

thanks

I can try to get photos tomorrow, not got a Celica at home at the moment.

On 21/11/2020 at 21:26, digs said:

Will it damage anything? Seems conflicting messages on that - in terms of seals etc . 

My memory tells me that methanol is the really nasty one, Ethanol not so bad. If the system copes with 5% ethanol, then I doubt it would have a problem with 10%.

• Thanks 1

Ethanol can damage rubber parts on older cars. I bought a none runner car a few years ago, the fuel pumps sat in a rubber holder in the tank. These had disintegrated, been sucked into the pumps and wrecked them. As far as I know it was due to the ethanol, settling to the bottom of the tank and destroying the rubber as the car had stood for a year.

Esso have just released a new supreme 99. In most areas of the country it contains no nasty ethanol, just pure dino juice. Ideal for older cars and Jap imports. I'll be using that in the faff from now on, as I have a Esso garage round the corner.

Was the non-runner a celica ?

Bearing in mind we've been running E5 for years which contains ethanol, I would expect to have had problems by now.

Also bear in mind that rubber perishes with age anyway, and being still is often worse than being flexed. Tyres are a classic example.

On 28/11/2020 at 09:41, _Chris_ said:

Was the non-runner a celica ?

Bearing in mind we've been running E5 for years which contains ethanol, I would expect to have had problems by now.

Also bear in mind that rubber perishes with age anyway, and being still is often worse than being flexed. Tyres are a classic example.

No rubber fuel pump holders in any celica tanks afaik, it was a Maserati 3200 GT. I've looked at them from a few other 3200's that hadn't sat for a long time and they weren't really perished much at all.

I think the maz was a worst case example, on most cars they don't mount the pump in rubber or sit the pump right at the bottom of the tank. But it did show what ethanol can do in cars that are not designed to use it. There may not have been any real problems with E5 as it's such a low amount, but maybe they start to surface with E10 :shrug:

5 hours ago, Xanadu said:

The Gen'5 fuel pump sits on a rubber cushion.

Yeah the 6 is the same. It's just a small rubber washer, the holder itself is steel.

The maz pumps are mounted in a big 4 inch wide rubber donut, in a plastic housing with the pickup filter at the bottom. The mount is inside the housing, so if it disintegrates...straight into the pump it goes.

20180112_092127.jpg

There are also rubber fuel lines in the tank and under the bonnet, plus injector seals. That doesn't necessarily mean they're natural rubber or even a type of rubber affected by Ethanol.

From memory, copper is one of the worst affected materials, although that may be for methanol.

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.