Any ideas what this is?

Big Lee

Hi,

I'm close to pulling my hair out following my MOT Failure due to excessive emissions. Seems i may need a remap and/or a replacement fuel regulator. 

However in the meantime the attached photos show a Blitz unit that was supplied with the car. I have no idea what it is or where it goes but i'm hoping that it's a plug in fix that reverts the map to a MOT friendly setting. Can anyone advise what this black box is used for and if this could be the case? I'm currently running a Link ECU with MOT emission at 8.2+ 

Thanks in advance 

Big Lee

PXL_20201021_093220022.jpg

PXL_20201021_093214717.jpg

PXL_20201021_093210194.jpg

It says boost map analyser, so I suspect it's probably a boost controller or add on for one. I very much doubt it would affect a link ECU.

The big question is whether the link is running closed loop, and whether that is from wideband or standard O2 sensor. If it is closed loop then the sensor is probably duff. If not, then it may need a tweak.

If you can post up all the figures it will give more clue as to what is wrong. It may not be mixture out at all but a duff cat, exhaust air leak or some other problem.

Is it a G3 or G4 link ? The G3 is very difficult to get the idle right.

The good news for link is that the tuning software is free to download and easy to use if you know what you're doing. The latter part is the downside.

Googling it , seems to be an add on to blitz boost controller to further map the boost controller (dsbc is dual solenoid boost controller) . 

assumedly only of use if you have a blitz boost controller and ability to map it ? Wouldn’t affect emissions though .

On 21/10/2020 at 13:02, _Chris_ said:

It says boost map analyser, so I suspect it's probably a boost controller or add on for one. I very much doubt it would affect a link ECU.

The big question is whether the link is running closed loop, and whether that is from wideband or standard O2 sensor. If it is closed loop then the sensor is probably duff. If not, then it may need a tweak.

If you can post up all the figures it will give more clue as to what is wrong. It may not be mixture out at all but a duff cat, exhaust air leak or some other problem.

Is it a G3 or G4 link ? The G3 is very difficult to get the idle right.

The good news for link is that the tuning software is free to download and easy to use if you know what you're doing. The latter part is the downside.

The Co2 zipped up to 9.59 in a flash and all other readings were on the up - the MOT chap couldn't get the probe out quick enough, something about tripping the machine out and having to call an engineer.

High CO is usually a sign of rich mixture - shortage of oxygen produces CO instead of CO2.. That would have been confirmed by lambda reading being low.

It all depends on how the ECU has been wired and configured as to what the problem might be. It will need someone who understands these things to look at it and diagnose.

From memory, the Link importer was Thor near Birmingham. Looking at your location that may be a good place to start. One of my locals had his car mapped there and they seemed reasonable to deal with. Looking at the map afterwards it seemed reasonably safe. Many mappers tend to be a bit reckless with safety margins to get good power figures, with a number of their customers getting engine failure soon after.

http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/

• Thanks 1

I wasn't suggesting a full remap - just determining how it's set up and either replacing a faulty O2 sensor or tweaking the idle cells as appropriate.

If you would prefer to spend money swapping components without diagnosing, then I would start with the O2 sensor. There's a good change a plug & play link would connect to the standard narrowband sensor and run closed loop on it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.