Always thought I'd start this thread, anyway've spotted an interesting car, (Not for me at mo), but just like to gauge others opinions on buying tips, and for people's heads up, like.

Would you buy?

If not why?

How much would you give?

Any good or not so good things youve spotted about it etc?

And the like, Anyway so have spotted an interesting sought after one to get the ball rolling.

How about this one for you people out there!!

Snog, marry or avoid?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/toyota/2005-toyota-celica-gt-1.8vvti-limited-edition-read-description-/1385413385

Or even marry, with a pre-nup knowing there mite be a quick impending divorce!!

Any thoughts on the above and others people care to share.

Edited by budgetbondbile

By coincidence, I was looking at this car yesterday, just after it was first listed on Gumtree.

Quite simply, the words, "barge pole" spring to mind.

It would take a brave man to take on a non-starting Cat C. If it's only going to cost £250 to get it running, any sensible person would do that, as it would make a big difference to its value.

Also, I'm under the impression the earliest GT's were on a "06" plate, not "05".

• Thanks 1

Been knocking about for years this one guys. It’s been all over the place. Avoid. These screenshots are from 2014

B89B3A8A-FA1C-45CD-AC92-F448F1BDCF86.png

65E8EB1A-F051-4840-B519-2A8493CF764D.png

• Thanks 1

At £850, id take a battery and try and push start it, if the engine runs and sounds ok id have it. Have a good look round it. 
Cat c in 2011 - could be a dent to rear quarter - its been through enough MOTs since it was written off. 

• Like 1

Buying a non runner id wonder if there is anything more up with it.

If it was just starter and battery it be easy and cheap to fix using 2nd hand starter. Once car is running it can fetch double the advertised price so its a no brainer to fix and sell as running.

It looks the same colour as a lemon so in this case it probably is a lemon.

• Haha 1

I’d buy it tomorrow if it wasn’t the other end of the country from me. 

As Ams said if I could bump it and hear it run I’d take it away. 

This cars on the wall at the Toyota training centre. Definitely a GT, Parker’s used it for there review. 

https://www.parkers.co.uk/toyota/celica/coupe-1999/18-vvtli-gt-3d-(sunroof)/specs/

• Like 1

Yeah ditto, I'd take a punt on it esp. with the GT provenance with those caveats, had some cat c 's in the past and created a couple, it d be handy to know why if poss tho affecting value could be innocuous.

How about this one, just had a new rear subframe, but can't be bothered retesting?

Looks quite tidy tho.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/toyota/toyota-celica-1.8-vvti-spare-or-repair/1385455737

Edited by budgetbondbile
On 25/09/2020 at 18:23, slybunda said:

Buying a non runner id wonder if there is anything more up with it.

If it was just starter and battery it be easy and cheap to fix using 2nd hand starter. Once car is running it can fetch double the advertised price so its a no brainer to fix and sell as running.

It looks the same colour as a lemon so in this case it probably is a lemon.

I have been caught out by a seller who pretended to have lost the key, engine was completely shot and no way they didnt know about it especially as the car was open when it was collected.

I wouldnt buy this one blind, if it was local id try and bump start it as I said.

Edited by ams
16 hours ago, Scott0 said:

That's not actually GT, it's a 2004 car. Clearly imported from Ireland I wonder if it wasn't imported from Japan before that.

Other than that (and the spoiler) nice looking car.

Edited by Freeman558
2 hours ago, Freeman558 said:

That's not actually GT, it's a 2004 car. Clearly imported from Ireland I wonder if it wasn't imported from Japan before that.

Other than that (and the spoiler) nice looking car.

seen this car for sale a few years ago, it had about 5000km on then and the pics underneath were mint. 

Also had red stripes around it

I am tempted but I ended up selling my auto jdm white one as they wanted £2000 to insure it. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.