paint/lacquer cracking

as you know i painted my car last year,been sat in the garage for atleast 6 months,took it out a few month ago and sitting in the sun this last few weeks this has happened

Yt2pSRRh.jpg

v74cqIRh.jpg

all over the whole car is like this,looks like the lacquer/clearcoat has cracked in the heat,

anyone any idea what has gone wrong,different make of clearcoat (upol) to the usual i have used in the past

1 hour ago, SpaceCowboys83 said:

Never seen anything quite like that before.

The whole car is covered in that?. 

pretty much is,all the bonnet and roof,goes over onto the wings and rear quarters,the big wing seems ok as does most of the doors and bumpers,just seems the big areas are affected,

making the whole car ruined which is a shame as it was looking really good for a while

That is bad luck. From the pics, it looks like compatability issue (expansion rates) or application timing / too thick / hardener ratio. Was the original paint acrylic and did you isolate? Not sure on a Gen6.

Other than that, was it applied in a too low temperature? Could be a list of conditions :( 

Upol etching primer Upol black gloss and Upol clearcoat,that was done last year (in the winter though and it was cold) sat in the garage up until 2 months ago and was fine but just seem to have happened with this hot spell of weather

never seen this happen before,its a first i have to say,

is this the idea of a spraybooth so it bakes in the heat as it dries

no i have to start allover again or scrap the whole thing which at the moment sounds more appealing,take a huge loss though

That sucks - don’t scrap the project though that would be a complete shame , but can understand why you feel.

had loads of bumps come up when my bumpers got exposed to hot sun, was water droplets under paint when sprayed (in colder weather) that formed heat bump looking things. 

I had the exact thing happen years ago on a bonnet I painted. He called it crows feet. 

i asked the painters in work what had gone wrong and told me it’s normally from not mixing enough, wrong ratio or applying the 2nd coat before the 1st has flashed. 

i Took it down with 600 on a DA and started again, again I was painting in my garage not a booth. 

Although it was only a bonnet I was gutted, I couldn’t imagine a whole car! 

Could be drying times between coats. I tend to leave primer ages to dry before flatting anyway, then 30 mins between Base coat and clear lacquer, then wait at least a week before even thinking of sanding and polishing the clear 

Edited by 99GT

Does look like a reaction from underneath, as others have rightly pointed out, could be a mixture of several factors gone horribly wrong for you buddy.

Dont let it take the heart out of you buddy, i know easier said than done, Ive been there myself several times over this past couple of years things behind the scenes gone horribly wrong and personal circumstances and loosing heart in the project, but Im still plodding away, the other members will have vastly superior experience than me but Im sure this can be sorted, might be a real pain in the backside but will be worth it in the end. 

Dont let it make you drift apart from the car mate. You will get it sorted. 

Have seen it before , used paint stripper to take it all the way back to bare metal before painting again but that car had about 20 coats of paint on it including at least 4 colour changes

55 minutes ago, SpaceCowboys83 said:

What will the poor bloke have to do then?, take her back to metal and start again and re seal the body?. Bound to be options that can help the guy out. 

Unfortunately that might be the only option

its no an easy one ,looking back it was primed in the summer as it went on the gloss and lacquer was applied as it was getting colder which may be the problem,the roof was taken back to the bare metal so the amount of coats is not the issue i would not think.wing/riser blocks etc were warmed up before painting as was the paint but could have missed one or two thinking they were ok.but now its what to do obviously scrapping it is not an option,sand it all down and start again wether i doit myself again or bite the bullet and go pro respray in GT86 metallic orange

hopefully its going for a forged rebuild soon

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.