Unaccountable damage

Is it just me, or do any of you good folk every see damage, scratches, scrapes, dings, dents, on your vehicle that you can't account for?

Okay, i know about the little ding near my fuel flap, probably got doored in the supermarket carpark sometime last year.

^ Having said that, i am very careful about where and how i park at the supermarket, usually give my car space and don't mind the extra walk from the empty far end of carpark.

Anyway, a week ago i washed the car, and noticed a scrape on the front bumper, how it got there i don't know, wasn't there a month before when the car was last washed.

It looks like it's on the bumper edge that could plausibly been caused by me nudging up to something hard enough to remove the paint, but nothing doing on my memory recall, the arrival of this blemish is a complete mystery to me.

The front bumper and spoiler assembly was completely resprayed a couple of years ago, and was perfectly unmarked only a month ago, and now it has an obvious scrape :(

KZWVhs4.jpg?2

Since cleaning the car a week ago it's been parked up on my driveway all week, and yet today i notice a scratch on the rear quarter panel...

7EmKEPK.jpg

This scratch ^ is a meter long ~ continues a wavy line right over the wheel arch. I can just about feel it on my nail, not sure it will polish-out. But how did it get there?

I'm thinking it may of been accidental on account of my neighbours, i like to think it wasn't done on purpose, and i do have a forgiving nature. 

Then again the neighbours and i are not on good talking terms [ long story that i won't go into here ] and/or they do have a 8 year old boy who been playing around out there a lot lately in the stay-at-home lockdown. Both of these recent damage are on the right hand side of the car, the side that is closer to the neighbours parking space. :angry:

Do any of you have any mysterious damage that magically appears on your Celica?

Edited by Crazy Cat Lady
Grrrr!

yes, mine has a lovely key or some other sharp object scratch most of the way down the drivers side, happened while i was at work delivering food to people that can,t get out. definately won,t polish out. hope the tw*t that done it gets bubonic plague or something equally pleasant.:angry:

• Sad 1

I have a mark in the exact same place on the front bumper. 

I’ve actually given the celica a wash for the first time since around September. The paint work really is showing it’s age and mileage unfortunately. 

7 hours ago, Crazy Cat Lady said:

Do any of you have any mysterious damage that magically appears on your Celica?

Yes, by a boy of similar age to your neighbours - 8/9 year old.

It started off as "mysterious" then I realised the damage began shortly after the new neighbours moved in.

The list so far...

Both headlight washers jets broken off.

Countless scuffs and scratches on the bonnet due to him using it as a slide.

Lefthand sidelight broken.

Drivers door lock blocked up with a piece of wood (twig).

Front reg' plate pulled off.

Him and his friends seen sitting on the roof of the car.

All done while the car was in a communal parking area.

Edited by Xanadu
  • Sad 1

I noticed once when I looked in the right light that I had pint dents on my doors. No idea when I got them or if they were there before I got the car but looks like at some point someone has opeend their driver door into it

6 hours ago, Xanadu said:

Yes, by a boy of similar age to your neighbours - 8/9 year old.

It started off as "mysterious" then I realised the damage began shortly after the new neighbours moved in.

Blimey, makes my damage issues look piffling!

You have my sympathy. Is this carnage you suffered still ongoing or just a bad era of the past?

2 hours ago, alex282 said:

I noticed once when I looked in the right light that I had pint dents on my doors. No idea when I got them or if they were there before I got the car but looks like at some point someone has opeend their driver door into it

About a decade ago when i owned my Corolla i noticed many little door-ding dents that were mysteriously appearing on just one side and area of the car. One day i discovered how they were happening; the woman next door would reverse her car to park next to mine, her daughter [again about 8 or 9 years old] who sat in the back of the car would very suddenly open the door with her foot which quickly thrust wide open in an instant - if anything was in the path of this door [ such as my car ] it would get hit :wacko:

Luckily they moved away shortly after i realised what was happening.

alot time people dont notice that when they wear something with metal zip s or any metal ie jeans the s always like buttons where pocket s hard objects of clothing s can cause little scratches with out noticing sometime when walk pass it scrape not noticing. some time if people do leaflet noramly carry bags that can happen walking pass postman s any random thing like that 

11 hours ago, Cleario said:

I have a mark in the exact same place on the front bumper. 

I’ve actually given the celica a wash for the first time since around September. The paint work really is showing it’s age and mileage unfortunately. 

The scuff on my bumper is on the drivers side front edge, it wasn't there a month ago. I don't understand it cos if i'd of done it i'm sure i would of noticed at the time.

Also since the covid lockdown and essential driving usage only; my car has been parked up off-road on a private driveway which is shared with one other neighbour. I've driven very few miles since lockdown, just a few trips to Tesco but i don't think it happened there because the carpark has been so empty and i park it in a fairly safe place there for less than half an hour.

I don't like to point the finger of blame at people without being 100% sure, but can't help thinking my neighbours & their kids are around outside a lot more than usual due to the stay-at-home policy, and my car is out there too :unsure:

3 hours ago, Monkey88 said:

alot time people dont notice that when they wear something with metal zip s or any metal ie jeans the s always like buttons where pocket s hard objects of clothing s can cause little scratches with out noticing sometime when walk pass it scrape not noticing

I hope it was accidental and whomever did it feels a sense of guilt and shame, ...then it's not likely to happen again. 

Just been out there having a go polishing the quarter panel scratch out, the lacquer is deep enough to cut into there, managed to tidy it up a lot better.

The car is parked in the shade early afternoon, i'd finished by the time the sun started to shine on the surface so it's difficult to tell at the moment, but i think the scratch won't generally notice most lighting conditions, if you know wot i mean. just a tell-tell faint line there if you know where to look...

Also cleaned all the glass, put the sun shade cover over the front windscreen; keeps the windscreen and mirrors clean and the car cool inside from the blazing sun.

Polished the chrome on the tail pipe, and quick spray polish t wheels plus applied tyre dressing. A little bit of pampering just to cheer my baby up :thumbsup:

With this period of stay-at-home and not drive the car unless essential, there must be a lot of very well detailed Celica's parked up on the drive! B)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Crazy Cat Lady said:

Is this carnage you suffered still ongoing or just a bad era of the past?

It's an on/off situation over the last three years. I had a collection of repairs to do on the car and while it sits waiting for me to fix them the car becomes a piece of 'recreational equipment' for the kids to play on. When I complained to their parents the answer I got from them was "well, you're not using it...", the second time I complained the answer I got was more direct - "F*** Off !"

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Crazy Cat Lady said:

I hope it was accidental and whomever did it feels a sense of guilt and shame, ...then it's not likely to happen again. 

Just been out there having a go polishing the quarter panel scratch out, the lacquer is deep enough to cut into there, managed to tidy it up a lot better.

The car is parked in the shade early afternoon, i'd finished by the time the sun started to shine on the surface so it's difficult to tell at the moment, but i think the scratch won't generally notice most lighting conditions, if you know wot i mean. just a tell-tell faint line there if you know where to look...

Also cleaned all the glass, put the sun shade cover over the front windscreen; keeps the windscreen and mirrors clean and the car cool inside from the blazing sun.

Polished the chrome on the tail pipe, and quick spray polish t wheels plus applied tyre dressing. A little bit of pampering just to cheer my baby up :thumbsup:

With this period of stay-at-home and not drive the car unless essential, there must be a lot of very well detailed Celica's parked up on the drive! B)

ya atm every  one s working on93826589_655861941656239_2676508900290723840_n.thumb.jpg.b1a683c72c6b3d4f5aaf9b373f82645c.jpg their car as much as they can best time atm even for me i am getting there few more little touch to finish my celica 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to find new marks appearing from time to time and often thought it was someone walking through the driveway. Most likely a jacket / bag that has just skimmed across the car, just enough to leave a mark. Possibly a delivery though as neighbours and visitors know that the car's special :)

Although, I've found a few more deeper marks and chips - almost certain they're from my neighbours building work though.

Currently, the car gets washed and then covered, on the weekends the cover would come off so it can breathe,

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/04/2020 at 20:00, Cleario said:

I don’t use mine anymore really but I gave i treated it to a polish! The front end is ruined with stone chips and scratched from the C-one lip that once lived on it. 

0A0D4EB2-B132-441D-8855-84D9730F7D32.jpeg

06CD010A-91FB-472C-8408-E46333304286.jpeg

Yikes... I need to to take the Greddy lip off mine as it has a big crack in it from a parking accident (my fault). Bet mine will have a scratch the same after I remove it.

13 hours ago, Cal670 said:

Yikes... I need to to take the Greddy lip off mine as it has a big crack in it from a parking accident (my fault). Bet mine will have a scratch the same after I remove it.

I’d say so! A friend has a greddy lip and recently took it off to repaint it and it’s the same as mine. Not a big deal for me, the amount of stone chips mean it would need painting anyway but still a bummer. It’s rubber through the paint around the fog lights too! 

Yeah mine has plenty of stone chips on it too. A place not too far from me makes a perfect match 1E7 silver spray can, so may be able to touch up the worst of it. I need to to take my TRD side skirts off to check under the sill covers for rust. We used white silicone sealant to put those on... Not looking forward to trying to take them off :brickwall:

On 23/04/2020 at 00:52, Xanadu said:

It's an on/off situation over the last three years. I had a collection of repairs to do on the car and while it sits waiting for me to fix them the car becomes a piece of 'recreational equipment' for the kids to play on. When I complained to their parents the answer I got from them was "well, you're not using it...", the second time I complained the answer I got was more direct - "F*** Off !"

dont mess with peoples cars, thats all i can say. one day they will mess with the wrong car and if they get caught well....

Edited by slybunda

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.