Rust And Living Next To The Sea

alex282

I have just moved to a new flat which is around 100 metres from the sea and my Gen 7 has been absolutely covered in salt whilst sitting parked outside. I presume it has been worse than usual because of the storms, but will still be in the air even in normal wind. Getting a garage is not really affordable or practical for me just now. Mostly worried about this because a couple of months ago I needed the driver side sill welded to pass the MOT. I'm not really sure what I can do? :( Does anyone have any experience with living next the sea or will I just have to hope the Gen 7 survives all the salt without becoming irrepairable from rust?

It is going to :( the other thing is seagull crap, that stuff is evil and eats into your paint if you leave it on there. My old mate moved to Dawlish many years back taking her prized black Fiesta XR2 with her, seeing it 6/8 months later was quite shocking

very little difference to driving on roads once gritted,your going to get salt air for a few miles inland depending on the wind direction,would think its more damaging as it dries up and with wind will make the salt more abrasive plus sand etc.,all you can do is keep it well waxed/polished and undersealed or waxoiled,

keep an eye on your brake discs as they will get eaten away

if you still have the airbox make sure you check that every 6-12months as i brought a astra 2.0T in Portsmouth and when i went to service it i took the panel filter out and a lot of salt was crusted in there and needed a small chisel to dig out the evil stuff. 

2 hours ago, Monkey88 said:

may be something like this if u able to keep ur car clean then keep it under one these if it dont blow away http://www.cover-systems.co.uk/car-covers/carfoldinggarages.htm

not sure how gd they are but can keep lots the crap out 

Living in a flat would probably mean there is no dedicated off road parking where this would be allowed.

I wanted one in my front garden and was told I'd need planning permission, even though it was a temporary construction.

Wouldn't do any harm to invest in a good hose or maybe pressure washer to rinse the car down and underside once a week at least.

Or use a local pressure washer and concentrate the spray on the underside of vehicle.

( Caveat - as long as the wash pressure isn't too vicious )

Get all the inside box sections treated with Dinitrol

Keep the paintwork waxed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

All the above. 

Use a long lasting, tough wax on the paintwork - especially on sills / door bottoms etc... like Collinite 476s. Or better still, a quality Quartz or ceramic treatment.

Regular underbody washing (pressure washer foam / rinse) and I certainly recommend regularly using a corrosion inhibitor like Built Hamber Atom Mac.

https://www.bilthamber.com/atom-mac-168

Spray underneath using a cheap pressure/fence sprayer :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.