Wax oil underside

Flash

4 minutes ago, alwayzsidewayz said:

Agreed why bother spending anything on our cars? Its not like we enjoy them or find modern stuff a real turn off.

In fact why bother at all with cheap, mass produced crap.

No point, lets just let em waste away. easy to find another and then repeat.

7 years ive owned mine and most of the time you brush away dirt etc when you do jobs and also most of the time MOTs are the ones that say if your car is bad 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Akuma77 said:

7 years ive owned mine and most of the time you brush away dirt etc when you do jobs and also most of the time MOTs are the ones that say if your car is bad 

Sadly mine needed that treatment for a good few years before I got her. By then things had got worse and went downhill far faster than I thought they would.

Prevention is always better than cure

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, alwayzsidewayz said:

Agreed why bother spending anything on our cars? Its not like we enjoy them or find modern stuff a real turn off.

In fact why bother at all with cheap, mass produced crap.

No point, lets just let em waste away. easy to find another and then repeat.

Who did you use mate and what was the cost after? Did they have the car long? 

5 hours ago, Carling said:

Who did you use mate and what was the cost after? Did they have the car long? 

My car had extensive Rust damage. It should have been scrapped to be honest.

So I am not a valid comparrison. The two sessions with the welder, who re built the rear of the car, took a good while. As did the complete strip down, and treatment.

Mine was more of a rescue and restoration.

JPF toyota do all the work on my car.

What i dont like about most bodyshops is that when they weld things up they don't cavity wax the back sides of the weld and dont use proper zinc based paint to stop it from rusting again. 

They all treat it like your going to sell it on after the works done. Hence why iv started doing it myself.

• 3 weeks later...

Update on this.... went to the rustproofing place today and they gave me a free look and quote.

To be honest I’m but unsure about their findings and whether they are chancing their arm to getting as much money out of me as possible or whether it’s a genuine quote. 

They said its not the worst but certainly not the best they have seen and it will need a lot of prep to get right. She said it was at stage 4 however on their website stage 4 is proper bad and she said there were no holes or anything like that... so unsure what to think of the quote now.

I was expecting about £350-450 going off their website and she was quoting £750..... 

My partner has said to go for it as I intend on keeping the car for many years. But I can’t help but think their chancing their arm to make as much money as they can from it; unless it does actually warrant the cost. I’ve attached pics of my underside and also 2 pics of what it should look like afterwards if I agreed to the work.

BD9C2F3F-D86D-4C28-A98A-8CCD7724702D.jpeg

68176554-B270-4FF4-82E6-2F1FB9E9EF7B.jpeg

D23ADB61-27D8-4153-B4E9-27484B7D96D5.jpeg

022FA782-D3C8-45FB-98EF-AC7F284C6B4C.jpeg

B731EF13-508F-4096-9169-E71CDE34163B.jpeg

BBCEBCB1-6A48-4723-9407-7D734EBCBED2.jpeg

CA718F79-7306-4D14-AFBD-C8574F4A43AF.jpeg

56E50C3C-9DED-407B-9783-88190B86B13E.jpeg

0CE0AA71-DFCC-4CAB-921A-A827409A3405.jpeg

7B1565D2-BAAD-4190-8FA9-5A73D52A0779.jpeg

867A1080-42B7-4C35-B395-DBD25D91E084.jpeg

5 hours ago, arizona said:

My fifth gen looks better than that underneath

That price isnt a surprise to me, it certainly would need a lot of prep work

Yeah I’ve asked for clarification because their site suggests going off what they said it should be around £450 max.

Their reply:

”Hi Russ
I've suggested that the site needs some clarification and I believe my colleague who does all that stuff is in the process of recreating the site. The prices are for the treatment when there little to no preparation work required (stage 1 / stage 2) and they go up when there is stage 3 or stage 4 corrosion. Your car is a borderline 4 from the amount of fairly major rust present but there aren't any holes or pitting evident. I am confident (based on experience) that there won't be any when I sandblast / air needle.
In terms of the dates, I can book you for the week commencing 17th February with a courtesy car.
Any questions please ask
Regards
Claire”

Guess.... they need to update their website then!

I’ll have to book her in, just a lot of cash but then if I intend on keeping her long term then needs to be done. 

This car will be the death of me :lol: thankfully I love her so much :bowdown:

1 hour ago, Carling said:

Yeah I’ve asked for clarification because their site suggests going off what they said it should be around £450 max.

Their reply:

”Hi Russ
I've suggested that the site needs some clarification and I believe my colleague who does all that stuff is in the process of recreating the site. The prices are for the treatment when there little to no preparation work required (stage 1 / stage 2) and they go up when there is stage 3 or stage 4 corrosion. Your car is a borderline 4 from the amount of fairly major rust present but there aren't any holes or pitting evident. I am confident (based on experience) that there won't be any when I sandblast / air needle.
In terms of the dates, I can book you for the week commencing 17th February with a courtesy car.
Any questions please ask
Regards
Claire”

Guess.... they need to update their website then!

I’ll have to book her in, just a lot of cash but then if I intend on keeping her long term then needs to be done. 

This car will be the death of me :lol: thankfully I love her so much :bowdown:

It's difficult to put a max price on their website i would think as it varies so much with how much work needs doing on the prep

But, I am surprised at any garage doing this work or suggesting this work be done at this time of the year.  It needs a good long spell of dry weather previously to be sure of there being no moisture trapped

That's a valid point about the moisture in the air this time of year. Could they blast it with hot air in an enclosed space before application to prevent moisture from being trapped? Perhaps this is why they can offer you a slot so quickly - no-one else wants it?? Could you delay it another month? Having said that, Spring can be a very wet time of year. At least in winter if it is dry and cold, the ambient air will be very dry as cold air holds very little moisture (nature of the physics).

• Like 1

You'd think garages like this operating this sort of service all year round would have some form of drying arrangements now, but tbh I don't fully trust em and I'd wait for a nice spell spending 750 sovs.

When I first got mine I looked around a lot for this sortta service and your price doesn't seem too bad compared, but I was never quite happy with the owners assurances and premises, in the end I compromised and addressed the worst areas myself, and then booked it in for a schutz undersealing my Toyota dealer does for 60 quid, but I must have rearranged it 5 times due to the weather that summer until in the end I just said sod it and got it done on a tepid day, but if u don't get it done right can do more harm than good, I think I'd wait for a bit myself personally unless you can drive to Tenerife and get it done there!!

What sortta notice do they give for booking in?

Well that's plenty of time for it to dry out!!

Must be quite a comprehensive service none of the quotes I got took that long

Oh just another thing as a bit of a pointer I'd make sure the garage is offering dinitrol and not actually waxoyl it's a better product and I found the better places only offer that and not actually waxoyl

Edited by budgetbondbile

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.