Unsightly brake dust!!

The brake dust on my wheels is shocking, black thick and really unsightly totally ruining any look of my wheels.

I've tried painting the inserts dark and still look crap.

I've not long put new discs and pads on there (think they were standard mintex y type things).

Has anyone got any tips on a) removing the dust and keeping it at bay

b) anything I can put on the wheels that 'll help it not stick/make em easier to clean

c) any other solutions at all like brake pad brands that give off silver dust thatd be handy!!

Edited by budgetbondbile

This might be a stupid question but have you fitted drilled and grooved discs ?

If so, that’s why.
When I fitted them on my last car it was a constant problem.
If not I would try different pads, ok we all get brake dust, especially on the front but it shouldn’t be as bad as that.

Hiya cheers, no the discs are just normal 'non-grooved' but thanks for the suggestion, think they were all ebay/ecp cheapies they're terrible look coal powered or something, thought about painting them black but not a real fan of that, but it's really thick stuff hard to remove, I can't understand it the rears are just as bad and it's not as though I'm practicing emergency stopping!!

Yeah I've heard about the wheel wax, if I can get them clean in the first place!, is it actually different than just 'normal' car wax?

Autoglym do an Alloy Wheel Seal aerosol and I've used it and think it dose help. I last used it on some re-wheels which were fresh back from the powder-coaters and they do seem to have stayed quite clean and just a wipe over seems to get lots of dust off.

• Thanks 1

Mintex have a good reputation on here but I find they are very much a budget brand. 

Before I opened the thread, I though I bet he's running mintex pads. I found they never lasted more than 10,000 miles - compared to 20-30k on other brands. 

I used to have some warped discs and budget pads up front when I bought my Celica - it made dust like no tomorrow. Having changed the discs over but not the pads (because I'm a cheapskate like that), I still get the same amount of dust - so it's definitely your pads I'd say. 

I run some higher quality pads on the rear (ebc greenstuff), and a friend has them on all corners of his daily celica. Not had any noticeable dust issues with them, should you decide to change/upgrade. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.