Summer Tyre vs All Season Trye, What Works For You?

18 hours ago, alwayzsidewayz said:

I love my winters on the BMW. I am putting mine on this weekend.

It causes me no end of fun, when in the snow, people think I will get stuck and I just breeze past em.

They all see typical rwd BMW ha ha, and then look at me open mouthed when I go past em. 

It's so much fun isn't it. There's a big hill near where I work and everyone except 4x4s gets stuck on it when it snows. I just breeze past on the wrong side of the road, laughing my ass off at the 'we don't need winter tyres in the UK' people :D Even if something comes the other way I pull back in, then do a hill start on snow...no problem 

On a BMW I don't know how anyone drives them in winter on summer tyres. I used to have an E36, no LSD at the back, it was pretty much undriveable in snow without them.

• Like 1

I agree, rwd BMW on run flats is just useless in snow and Ice

I had an Alpina D3 for a bit, and even in the wet with 516 lb ft of torque and no LSD it was daft. 

When I got my 440i I factory ordered the LSD, much to the dealers amazment. Makes such a difference.

my winter rims are 18" and apart from the slight increase in road noise, I prefer the way it drives, as the ride is better. The stock 19" rims and run flats are pretty poor.

Sadly no big hills near me to show off with. I can imagine you laughing.

Even 4x4s struggle on some types of tyres, I had another set of the wifes car and remember passing a x3 that was just spinning up all the time

Edited by alwayzsidewayz
  • Like 1

I havent really had a proper look yet at whats out there, Im pretty lucky this year as the Celica wont be ready so I wont have to use it over winter, Ive still got the Fabia to keep me ticking over, Celica going in for a full respray sometime after Christmas. Still at the mechanics at the moment, not much movement on it at the moment, other cars booked in before hand getting sorted. Did get the sills done etc, few minor things looked at. 

Underneath is getting fully cleaned and rust treated and then coated in Dinitrol.

Ive some time off in December so will have a peek at tyres more in-depth. 

I hate driving in the snow, scares the life out of me. The Fabia isn't bad in the snow, so whats the Celica's like in the snow?. 

My celicas always been great in the snow, I’ve never gotten it stuck or missed a days work. Light, no traction control and a great handbrake. 

ive just picked up a set of A3 16” wheels to fit my winter tyres on, there some cheap wintraxx or something I bought 3 years ago. Used them on the celica through the snow and will do the same on the A4 with Quattro this year, I’m hoping it’ll be a little more fun with some AWD action. 

if it’s unless I’ll go back to the celica lol

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.