Summer Tyre vs All Season Trye, What Works For You?

Having seen allot of pics of all your wonderful machines from the various Gens throughout the club here we have a wide variety of rubber on those precious machines, so when it comes to putting a type of rubber on the wheel what works for you guys?, are you a summer tyre person or an all season tyre folk?, have you switched brands over years or are you religious over one specific brand?.

For the MR2 I tend to bounce between Pirelli and Bridgestone, I havent decided yet what to put on the Celica when she's finished, I was looking at Goodyear Vector 4 season type 2 tyres but not sure yet. 

So what have you folk found over time works and also what have you found you didnt like?.

I would guess that a lot of it depends on general driving style. Anyone that likes to give it some serious stick is going to recommend PS4s or Eagle F1s etc because they need the extreme grip that these tyre types offer. Those that drive within legal limits will probably recommend cheapies.

My GT4 came with 18" Bola wheels shod with cheap copies of Pirelli PZeros and they were really grippy. My newly fitted original 16" three spokes have been shod with Avon ZV5s and they go sliding quite easily on a wet road. Avoid them.

There will be better opinion posted I'm sure. I'm quite inexperienced when it comes to performance car tyres to be honest.  :blink:

EDIT - I have never used a specific "season" tyre. Don't really see the need in this country.

Edited by meirion
  • Like 1

Michelin Cross Climate are a very good Summer Biased All-Season - Very quiet too. Fitted to my FWD work whip. Very good wet weather performance and capable in the snow. Seem to be lasting longer than I imagined too.

For the CS, I have two sets of wheels...

Summer wheels - Michelin Pilot Sport 3

Winter wheels - Continental Winter Contact TS860

I can't recommend the PS's and Conti's enough B) Both exceptional when in their element, but the PS's are utter rubbish in deep Winter - even on a 4WD with LSD.

As good as the Cross Climate's are, they are still a comprimise in the Summer when top performance is demanded. But probably the best all-season out there if that's what you are looking for.

Have a smooch about on tyre reviews. Sad to spend time looking at tyres I know, but being so expensive it's nice to have all the info to decide what's best for you :thumbsup:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

• Like 2

11 hours ago, meirion said:

I would guess that a lot of it depends on general driving style. Anyone that likes to give it some serious stick is going to recommend PS4s or Eagle F1s etc because they need the extreme grip that these tyre types offer. Those that drive within legal limits will probably recommend cheapies.

My GT4 came with 18" Bola wheels shod with cheap copies of Pirelli PZeros and they were really grippy. My newly fitted original 16" three spokes have been shod with Avon ZV5s and they go sliding quite easily on a wet road. Avoid them.

There will be better opinion posted I'm sure. I'm quite inexperienced when it comes to performance car tyres to be honest.  :blink:

EDIT - I have never used a specific "season" tyre. Don't really see the need in this country.

Awesome answer buddy!. Some interesting choices there!.

11 hours ago, thermoacc said:

Michelin Cross Climate are a very good Summer Biased All-Season - Very quiet too. Fitted to my FWD work whip. Very good wet weather performance and capable in the snow. Seem to be lasting longer than I imagined too.

For the CS, I have two sets of wheels...

Summer wheels - Michelin Pilot Sport 3

Winter wheels - Continental Winter Contact TS860

I can't recommend the PS's and Conti's enough B) Both exceptional when in their element, but the PS's are utter rubbish in deep Winter - even on a 4WD with LSD.

As good as the Cross Climate's are, they are still a comprimise in the Summer when top performance is demanded. But probably the best all-season out there if that's what you are looking for.

Have a smooch about on tyre reviews. Sad to spend time looking at tyres I know, but being so expensive it's nice to have all the info to decide what's best for you :thumbsup:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

Thanks for the link, allot of in-depth looks at the different tyres.

Ive heard the F1 Eagles offer crazy amounts of grip, seems to be a popular brand here for those that want the max amount of the machines they have.

I use Goodyears on the Fabia and for the MR2 I always bounced between Bridgestones and Pirelli, the motorbike I always stuck with Dunlop.

Im an easy type driver, I dont rake around etc, I put my foot down when I need to, but over-all Im pretty easy on the right foot but I dont put cheapie tyres on either, I like good brands that will give good grip in bad weather conditions, I live quite high up so esp in winter allot of my roads arent lucky enough to have the presence of a Gritter spray the roads, so I do like to have a decent tyre that will offer at least some good winter control there, hence why Im leaning towards them nice Goodyear Vector 4 seasons range, they look really good. Plus when it rains here which is allot lol, the roads were I am get so greasy and slippery as the roads are in awful condition its nice to know you have decent rubber on the wheels giving you that bit extra confidence in driving.

Asking for tyre recommendations, is like asking which is the best Bond film..everyone will have a different opinion.

However, given your location, plus the fact I don't think you're going to be covering a high mileage, I would suggest you consider the Rainsport 3.

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m54b0s457p111646/Uniroyal_Tyres_Car_Uniroyal_RainSport3_Uniroyal_Rain_Sport_3_-_205_45_R17_88Y_XL_FR_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_A_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_72dB

I know very well I will me in a minority of one here, but I've got Dunlop Bluresponse on my 7 because they are quiet :sorry:.

I've reached an age where I have no interest in going around bends, exploring the limits of car and driver, and the one negative quality that most people agree the 7 has is bad road noise. Those tyres are specially aimed at low noise and I like them for that, and don't have any perception that they are lacking in respect of grip, ride or whatever.

• Like 1

Unless in a racing environment where outright grip is key to winning then the key is to use something predictable and progressive.

There's a massive mis-conception fuelled by the tyre adverts that more grip is safer. This does indeed apply to most people who drive way inside grip limits - indeed with no concept of how far they can push it - except when something unexpected happens and they hit the brakes hard.

For an enthusiast who enjoys reaching and exceeding grip limits, then it's important that they don't have tyres that just give up & let go completely at the slightest damp patch or even when limits are reached.

The tyres I usually see reccomended on forums are the ones with a solid feel as they inspire confidence. This usually comes from stiff sidewalls and harder rubber - which is generally the formula for non-progressive and non-predictable. Japenese tyres are usually the worst as they are aimed at japenese climate.

The winter tyres I've tried so far - both sets came with cars I bought - have all been lethat. Very little grip on dry tarmac, like ice on wet. It comes to something when you can't stop from 60MPH in 2-300 yards when a deer runs out in front.  I still have the tyres to put on the back for autotests, but they'll never go on the road again..

I have a very different experience with my winter tyres. I run a set on my BMW. In fact will be putting them on in a couple of weeks.

Last year the car was so capable in snow and cold / damp icy conditions, it was superb. In fact they had more inital grip than the summer run flats I run as OEM on the car.

I 100% rate new winter tyres, on the wifes Octavia, we were able to travel safely in pretty heavy snow.

I hate the run flats I have on the BMW, they are so hard and the transfer from grip to slide when having fun is awful, very snappy out on tack, even with my LSD

3 hours ago, Kev 16v said:

Asking for tyre recommendations, is like asking which is the best Bond film..everyone will have a different opinion.

However, given your location, plus the fact I don't think you're going to be covering a high mileage, I would suggest you consider the Rainsport 3.

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m54b0s457p111646/Uniroyal_Tyres_Car_Uniroyal_RainSport3_Uniroyal_Rain_Sport_3_-_205_45_R17_88Y_XL_FR_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_A_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_72dB

i average about 250 miles per week for work not including wknd driving. I run goodyears on the Fabia at the moment, never let me down, I used Dunlops on the motorbike when I had it but that was years ago.

1 hour ago, bazz54 said:

I know very well I will me in a minority of one here, but I've got Dunlop Bluresponse on my 7 because they are quiet :sorry:.

I've reached an age where I have no interest in going around bends, exploring the limits of car and driver, and the one negative quality that most people agree the 7 has is bad road noise. Those tyres are specially aimed at low noise and I like them for that, and don't have any perception that they are lacking in respect of grip, ride or whatever.

I would tend to be of your thinking driving wise, im not one to push the limits of the car, flip Ive had the MR2 over 10 years now and Ive never once through the tail out, I just don't like abusing the car, I drive them well dont get me wrong but I don't like raking about in them, they get a good run but I never push my luck with the cars, just not my scene. 

I never had a problem with Dunlops on the bike, I did have Dunlops on the fabia for a few years then switched to Goodyears and have used them this past 2-3 years, but if the garage doesn't have any Goodyears I always stick on a set of Dunlops, the MR2 loves the Bridgestones, great tyre for that car. 

Great to see what each of you guys like and dont like in a grade of tyre, everyone has their own particular style of driving, how they handle the road conditions, how they like their car set up, it is a very vast world as no two people are really the same when it comes to tyres. 

On the Celica I have Advan AD08R's for summer use just put Michelin Pilot Sport 4's on the second set of wheels which are fantastic in wet and dry - really impressed.

On my daily Astra the OEM tyres are these:

https://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/brands/michelin/energy-saver

Insane longevity, 42k miles and I'm just about to replace the fronts. Great all round grip, perfect for a sensibly driven car

On 03/10/2019 at 12:57, _Chris_ said:

The winter tyres I've tried so far - both sets came with cars I bought - have all been lethat. Very little grip on dry tarmac, like ice on wet. It comes to something when you can't stop from 60MPH in 2-300 yards when a deer runs out in front.  I still have the tyres to put on the back for autotests, but they'll never go on the road again..

I do have a set of winter tyres for my saloon and I'm quite happy with them in all conditions and on tarmac. I think that they are Goodyear Ultragrips. I do only use them during the winter months.

I live out in the sticks, and in the bad winter of 2010 there were a couple of days when I couldn't get to work. I asked an American friend of mine (who had been in the military and stationed all over the US) whether he had experience of winter tyres and he was very positive about them, so I got some.

1 hour ago, bazz54 said:

I do have a set of winter tyres for my saloon and I'm quite happy with them in all conditions and on tarmac. I think that they are Goodyear Ultragrips. I do only use them during the winter months.

I live out in the sticks, and in the bad winter of 2010 there were a couple of days when I couldn't get to work. I asked an American friend of mine (who had been in the military and stationed all over the US) whether he had experience of winter tyres and he was very positive about them, so I got some.

I live quite high up myself and on roads the Roads Service says is not vital enough to Grit, despite there being lots of traffic and schools etc, but we dont have the funding to grit all the roads, the Roads Service only Grits a percentage of the roads here and leaves the rest to your own devices, hence why when it snows loads of cars get abandoned here or people just dont go to work rather than risk wrecking their car, I tend to take time off as it can be bad, not worth wrecking the car over it. 

So for someone like me who travels 250 miles per week I have to put a good bit of effort into selecting a good tyre. 

14 hours ago, paulgtt said:

Pilot Sports are the one for dry and wet weather, Eagle F1’s are also good.

If it is wet then don’t use AR1’s would be my advice :lol:

Yeah Ive heard great things about the F1 Eagles and also the Vector 4 seasons tyre as well, seems to get great reviews. 

Luckily I wont have to worry this winter as the Celica is tucked away at the bodyshop getting worked on, so I wont have to worry about winter driving this year, be well into the new year before she will be ready, Target is Easter time to have her on the road and ready to roll, but still want to make sure i get a good brand on. 

Pilot Sports generally aren’t much more expensive then F1’s so I would go for the Michelin’s given the choice.

Iv got the Pilot Sport 3’s on the Civic at the moment, can’t fault them but 4’s are even better, had them on my old Impreza and are the best road tyre Iv ever used.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, paulgtt said:

Pilot Sports generally aren’t much more expensive then F1’s so I would go for the Michelin’s given the choice.

Iv got the Pilot Sport 3’s on the Civic at the moment, can’t fault them but 4’s are even better, had them on my old Impreza and are the best road tyre Iv ever used.

I will give them a look, never used Michelin tyres before, been mostly Goodyear, Dunlop, bridgestone, Pirelli Ive used over the course of ownership on the MR2, Fabia and the bike.

• 1 month later...

On my celicas I always tend to go for Japanese made tyres. On the faff I have Toyo T1R, can't really fault them, made in Japan and I like the directional tread patterns. I only drive the car in summer though. Used to have Falken FK452 on my last celica, made in Japan again and I really liked them. They were discontinued though and replaced by the FK453. Don't like the boring non directional tread pattern though that look like something you'd fit on a van, so switched to the Toyo.

On my daily (Avensis T180) I've just put my winter tyres on, Toyo Snowprox. I have a second set of the original alloys, so I can just swap the front wheels over with the winters on. I really rate winter tyres, the car goes from undrivable in snow to unstoppable. The gritters round here tend to be missing in action when it actually snows, and everywhere grinds to a halt. With winters on I can take the back lanes where no one dares to go, avoiding the traffic, or get a huge amount of enjoyment dodging past people who are stuck because they have the wrong tyres on B)

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.