stolen catalyst converters?

slybunda

iv heard a lot of these thefts going on, local britannia tyres and exhausts place done 5 replacements today, 4 Jazz's and a prius.

looks like a lot of jap cars especially prius are being targetted. wondering is the celica is also on the hit list? if so what to do to protect the cat? wondering if its safer to do a decat now and put the cat back on for mot time?

As Bryan says......Celica Cat's are not worth the hassle for a thief as they don't contain particularly high concentrations of precious metal compared to 'New' Cat's.

Car is naturally too low also, would need jacking up to get access. These sort of thefts generally target cars with higher ride heights like 4x4's as they can get straight under them and cut it out without any extra work.

My dad had this done to a shogun that he used to own, we even got it on cctv of them nicking it, less than 2 minutes from the car pulling up to driving off.

There was a spate of cat converter thefts on 4x4’s in our area at the time, 5 got done in one street in one night

1 hour ago, slybunda said:

Possible to make it less nickable? Spray paint it red and yellow?

why red and yellow?

hybrid cars have more precious metals in due to they having to abide by strict emission standards, therefore they are the ones the thief's will target. to be honest if they can get under mine and take the cat i will take my hat off to them. You need a low profile jack and i believe I have a shield over it

My mate works for a company that deals in used CATs, they have a contract with the biggest recycling company in the uk and have branched out overseas. Theres some serious money to be made sorting the precious metals from them. Hes posted up loads of pics of unscrupulous people being filmed pulling up beside a target car (not just 4x4s) and they jack those up in seconds and saw the cats off ridiculously quick. Lots of Prius type cars and newer models. They work in teams and always usually have a nutter with a weapon with them to deal with owners or heroes. Theyll do it in broad daylight and are very efficient. 

• Like 1

My cousin had a V reg honda accord 1.8 petrol. They stole that cat too from the driveway too. My bro scrapped a honda accord of a similar year and engine too. They checked the cat on the car saw it was original then gave him 430 quid for scrap value. Insane.

Our Mercedes Sprinter van at work had the cat/dpf stolen, they just unbolted the whole exhaust and did away with it. Must of taken them about a minute, was only held on with 3 bolts and a few rubber mounts that they chopped off. Merc wanted £3500 for a new one, and insurance wanted to write the van off :angry:

We fitted a cheap shitty aftermarket cat/dpf, gutted it so it was hollow and had them mapped out. Never happened again, thieves don't want aftermarket cats only oem ones as the cheapo ones have bugger all precious metal in them (hence them being so cheap)

As others have said though, celica ones aren't worth much and not easy to access so they won't bother. But decat it anyway :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.