Sorning car over winter - preparations.

Cal670

Well my Celica in still in the garage thanks to Covid-19. I've been keeping the battery charged with slow charger, and it's been kept on wheel cradles. Gotta say, I'm pretty anxious about starting it up again after seven months.

6 hours ago, Cal670 said:

Well my Celica in still in the garage thanks to Covid-19. I've been keeping the battery charged with slow charger, and it's been kept on wheel cradles. Gotta say, I'm pretty anxious about starting it up again after seven months.

Cant see it'd be much different between gens, here's a pic marking the two boxes i disconnect before turning over the engine 4 or 5 turns if been sitting for a bit. It'll not fire up, gets the oil circulating - then just plug those back in and start up (tip from Bek)

Edit, i cant get pic to upload (message email address if need it)

Don't worry, it'll be fine. Mine is up and running now, didn't run for about 5 months. Usually start it up occasionally but couldn't this time as I took the front pipe off...didn't think it would take 3 months for the new one to arrive :blink:

I put some fresh fuel in, and same as Arizona I disconnected the coil so I could spin the engine over a few times without firing, get some oil pumped round first. Connected it back up and fired up straight away, runs perfect. The battery even held it's charge for 5 months while disconnected. 

Edited by Alistair_GT
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/06/2020 at 21:57, Cal670 said:

Started her up for the first time since October today. Took a few turns before the fuel got through. After about five or six attempts, she started fine :D

That's good to hear - did you take it for a nice little spin too?

On 16/05/2020 at 20:49, slybunda said:

solar charger working well for me. checked today and its floating at 13.2v so thats good. 

Which brand is that?

I got a custom setup but if your battery is good then even a 10w panel will be more than enough. I will get the link for you when i get onto the pc.

Heres the link:

https://thargo.com/product/bluefusion-mono-solar-panel-10w-20w-50w-100w/

13 quid plus delivery. I use it in my fiesta which has got a sulphated battery due to mechanic hoarding the car for a month in winter without starting it. I checked 2 days ago and battery was at 12.9v. Panel sees direct sunlight for about 5 hours.

Now depending on where you park and where the panel will face you can work out the panel size you need. This 10w one works good in winter.

I added a reverse blocking diode to it and its good to go. Much better than the big amorphous panel i got from halfords which was physically larger and made less current.

1 hour ago, CheltGirl said:

That's good to hear - did you take it for a nice little spin too?

I've taken it out for a good drive both tonight and last night since it passed its MOT yesterday. God it feels good to be back! 

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.