Gen 6 Flasher!!

Dds84

I think i have developed a bit of an embarrassing problem with my gen 6. When i lock up about a minute after setting the alarm the hazards start flashing for no apparent reason. Ive opened and shut bonet boot windows doors and tried again but still the old girl flashes. This goes on for about 3 mins. It is fitted with an auto watch alarm inmobilser. No noise or alarm going off just a single series of flashing for 3 mins then thats it gone and no more sets as far as i can tell after sitting out watching for 30 mins. Ive never noticed it before today but have noticed hazards flashing when the boot is opened. Its an import model. Can anybody enlighten me whats normal in terms of setting the hazard lights off on it? Can this function be disabled at all as it draws attention to the car at the petrol station and parking up etc.  I have changed the fob batteries this week but it all works fine and no issue with the fob. Maybe its always done this and ive never seen it before now? 

20190922_104706.jpg

5 hours ago, paulgtt said:

What’s the state of your battery?

If it’s becoming weak it can cause all sorts of strange things to happen 

Battery looks pretty new and its turns over fast and strong so don't think thats it. I have narrowed it down to the alarm unit. Lock the car by the key and not with the fob (i assume this just locks the doors and doesnt activate the alarm) its fine. No flashing. Lock with the fob and its flashing after a minute for a few mins. I caught it doing this 3 times on a row after i locked it last so presume something is upsetting the alarm. 

1 hour ago, Xanadu said:

You might find some answers here:

https://www.autowatch.co.uk/tech-support/support-ghost

Many thanks for that. Good to know the firm is still going that supplied the alarm. I think it was fitted in 2001 so not sure how much support i will be able to get with it now. Going to see what is in the paperwork that came with it and see if i can find anything or even identify what alarm is installed. I had a poke about and spotted some kind of exposed wiring in the footwell that looks like it was some kind of electrical port or button thats been damaged. It has 3 wires exposed and looks like the cover has been kicked off by a clumsy foot. Its located on the side of the A pillar near the throttle. Will get a pic up tomorrow as i cant identify it presently. Not sure if its something to do with alarm or not.

Progress made. I stumbled accross this problem solving guide for autowatch online.

http://www.suffolkalarms.co.uk/index_files/Problem_Solving.htm

So ive tested the alarm and discovered it is the ultrasonic sensors triggering. Sounds like the previous owner has somehow muted the siren. Thankfully there is an option to bypass the ultrasonics when setting by double pressing the fob. This has solved the flashing. Only the doors set it off flashing now when alarm is set. I can live with that. The other thing i noticed is this poorly positioned electrical component in the footwell. Anybody identify whats left of it? Dont think its  related to the alarm but might be a stock gen6 component? My foot has caught it this morning so i can see why its been damaged. 

20190923_084117.jpg

You beat me to it! I was going to suggest that. Mine has a Toad AI606 fitted and kept going off when I first got it. I disabled the ultrasonics using the same method and it's been fine since.

Edited by 99GT
  • Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.