2 stroke oil in petrol tank???

slybunda

So met a guy who tracks his lotus elise, has a 2zzge engine in it. I asked if he uses high octane and he said he uses vpower and adds 2 stroke oil to it think he said 60:1 ratio. I was confused but just nodded and carried on talking about handling and weight. Now im back home and wondering why is the plonker putting 2 stroke oil into a 4 stroke engines petrol tank?

I have a feeling it might not do any harm since engines burn oil all the time but only time i see people do that is with lawn mowers and chainsaws.

Any ideas?

Ok I’m not talking about the track here but dose he mean Redex ? I’ve been using that for years.

In the past when I’ve used it for the first time on cars that I’ve just bought and replaced ignition parts at the same time, I’ve regained some of the BHP that had been previously lost with the age of the car.

The BHP before and after on the dyno’s that I’ve seen in the past when I’ve done it has been so significant, that I’ve always recommend people doing that before they start modding.

Think it may help with cleaning and keeping parts lubed up I've read about adding 2 stroke but not tried that people even use diesel I've experimented with acetone, paraffin and white spirity type higher up the aromatic carbon chain type solvents in the past with varying success you've just not got to overdue it, from what I can remember that's all pretty much what's in redex anyway and prolly the detergent type additives in vpower petrol etc. I think atf mite be another one I've seen on good ol youtube

• 1 month later...
On ‎18‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 07:11, slybunda said:

No not redex.

After reading up and watching some youtube vids it looks like adding 2 stroke oil to the petrol tank is very common for mazda rotary users like rx7 rx8 etc.

Mazda rotary play by a completely different set of engineering rules and are known for being as reliable as the British weather so running a bit of 2T oil to lube the Apex seals makes sense. The Norton Rotory ran a total loss system where the oil was passed through the crank and inner piston before injected into the fuel but not so with the Mazda. 

The notion of putting 2T oil in a four stroke fuel has been around since time in memorial and to be fair most of it is pub talk, old wives tails, etc. Ive been building engines and around the race scene for over 30 years in both 2 strokes and 4 strokes and have never come across anyone doing this on the race scene nor found any benefits either. If there is its not to help lubrication, as there is nothing to lube within the induction, compression or exhaust of a 4 stroke cycle so it can only be maybe to help stabilise the burn in someway, if it is, there are much better ways.

The other option is he could mean engine oil, in the past a 2 stroke engine gear boxes by there nature would run a thinner oil then 4 stroke engines of the time but now a days oil technology is much more advances with some oils reaching almost zero viscosity.

Or maybe the guy was just pulling your leg? who knows!

Dorris

Edited by Dorris

I heard of this in Diesel engines to help lubricate the pump & injectors, bearing in mind modern clean burning fuels tend to be less lubricating.

I have done it myself in a rattly high milage clio diesel which became much less rattly as a result, so I wouldn't hesitate to do it again on engines that seem to benefit.

Diesels have a very different type of fuel pump and injector though, running at much much higher pressures and built to much closer tolerances. I'm really not sure that petrol engines would warrent this.

As far as octane goes, engine oil certainly makes engines MORE prone to detonation. 2 stroke oil, I have no idea but I wouldn't expect to make it better.

On ‎14‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 13:01, _Chris_ said:

I heard of this in Diesel engines to help lubricate the pump & injectors, bearing in mind modern clean burning fuels tend to be less lubricating.

I have done it myself in a rattly high milage clio diesel which became much less rattly as a result, so I wouldn't hesitate to do it again on engines that seem to benefit.

Diesels have a very different type of fuel pump and injector though, running at much much higher pressures and built to much closer tolerances. I'm really not sure that petrol engines would warrent this.

As far as octane goes, engine oil certainly makes engines MORE prone to detonation. 2 stroke oil, I have no idea but I wouldn't expect to make it better.

This was something we seriously considered back in 2000 for our Aircraft fire tenders with the fuel blockades and shortages that were going at the time. We had an abundances of AVTUR (aviation jet fuel) but it has no lubrication properties like diesel so a 10% mix of 2 stroke oil and AVTUR was purposed so we could keep them running if push come to shove. As it happened, it was all over before our diesel tanks ran dry. Dorris

• 4 weeks later...

Never heard of this is a 4 Banger , I use 2 Stoke in my rx8 , a good 150ml per tank , more if tracking it , but rotrays actully inject oil from the sump into the combustion chamber to keep the apex seals lubed , add 2 stroke into the tank is said to help more , but has never been scientifically proven either way , but fuck you get some cracking flames 

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.