Least rusty area in UK to buy from!!!

Bit of a topic for debate here, but generally hypothetically what sort of tips mite anyone have for spotting a non rusty car/celica?I

My initial tuppenys worth!!

Scotland seems to b a rustier hotbed/belt.

Be wary of low milers.

Obviously check mot history for signs also btw would any one rule out previous rusty brake pipes as a precautionary precursor?

Get one of those camera on a stethoscope thingys and insert it into the sills with the top cover removed as well as the osr subframe.

Anyone else with any more experience have any other useful hacks/ideas on the subject?

Edited by budgetbondbile

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah Scottish cars do seem to fare worse I suppose that may contribute to them being slightly cheaper generally and the Midlands cars do seem to last longer.

It seems a slightly inexact science cos yeah the well used 'hammered' ones do sometimes appear to be better which may ironically make them better purchases on older cars, maybe it's the renewed airflow drying them out not letting water sit etc.

If yours is a weekender sly you maybe want to weigh up where you park it when yours is sorted.

7 hours ago, slybunda said:

Daily drivers seem to have less rust than ones that sit around most of the time. Very odd.

On 19/08/2019 at 15:31, ams said:

Agree on Scottish cars - have seen some that have been really bad from there.  Most coastal cars seem to be bad

Cars from around the midlands seem to be ok. 

Along those lines, check MOT history, anything that mentions corrosion is usually rubbish underneath.

And don't buy anything from Scotland or from coastal towns.

I find that usually low milers are better, less use in winter is always a bonus. Unless they've been kept somewhere damp like on grass or under trees (big no no)

The best ones are those kept in a dry garage not outside, and those that are not used in winter.

The #1 tip...buy a Japanese import that hasn't been in this shithole country for long :lol:. There's still rubbish out there (usually from northern Japan or coastal towns, again) but there's a lot of very clean ones too. There are 25 year old Jap imports that look literally like new underneath...their climate is so much better than ours.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.