Dash-Cam Wire

Tiddles

2005 Gen-7

I now have a dash-cam :)

It will be positioned behind the rear view mirror.

Is there a way I can provide power to it without cables across the dash and up the screen?

I was thinking of splicing off the fag lighter wiring and some way running the cam power cable to just behind the mirror but keeping it hidden.

Is this possible and how would I go about this as I do not want to be pulling the trim apart to much or getting close to the air bag.

The other thought was to splice the cam power cable in to the sunroof power feed, I assume this is easily accessible by simple removing the cabin light.

I would then simply pit a small hole in the roof lining to feed the cable through.

Can this be done?

Tiddles.

I did the same, roof lining you can finger poke the wire all the way to the pillar. The pillar just pulls off, so easy to put the wire behind. easy enough to route it to the centre console with the glovebox out. and splice it behind the cigarette lighter. No wires on show and starts recording when starting the engine

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

um you did use a proper cable didnt you? you didnt just put 12V directly into the camera which runs on 5V... 

This is the kit i got

https://www.amazon.co.uk/INRIGOROUS-Inverter-Converter-Regulator-Camcorder/dp/B073F5XBN8/ref=asc_df_B073F5XBN8/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310679368228&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18047615612613404423&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045576&hvtargid=pla-564840937421&psc=1

The black box in the middle converts 12v to 5. This particular kit works up to 24v i believe

I hard wired a three way splitter off the back cigarette power. And put it by the fuse panel for easy access as not needed to unplug at any time. Most car gadgets come with a 12v to USB adapter anyway so just plug in. I run everything off that and just use the actual socket for phone if I need it 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.