Lacquer peel - any way to slow it down?

I've got the beginnings of lacquer peel on my roof in two different places, which suddenly appeared a month or so ago. I don't have the money to get the roof resprayed and I don't want a patch job as the colour is difficult to match and I can't find anyone good enough to take her to anyway. So I was wondering whether anyone knows of any way to help stop or slow down the lacquer peel without spending a small fortune? I don't have a garage so parking her in the shade isn't an option.

My first GT suffered this , had a couple of patches on the roof and there wasnt really an answer to it other than going down the respray route when i was looking. The other alternative which i may have done as a temp solution was to wrap the roof, just to make it look a bit neater, i was just going to do it black and save for proper paintjob - unfortunately it soon after failed mot and got sold for spares so i never did it

• Like 1

I sanded down my patch on the 5 very gently, then just sprayed some halfords lacquer over it and tried to feather out the edge. Seemed to stop it getting worse, but def needs to be dealt with properly.

• Like 1

Hi Cornish lass your lacquer problem having painted many cars in my time this what I would do remove any flaking lacquer around the area affected get some wet and dry rubbing down paper grit number 600,800 and 1000 three or four sheets a tube of medium burnishing compound and a rubbing block a reel of say 1 inch masking tape and paper for masking the areas you do not need to repaint you could either use a strong de waxing detergent or better still a de wax fluid and a good quality lacquer aerosol say about 500 size depends on area to cover . All this you should be able to get from a motorist stores, now the job part have a look on utube for methodology of the work for your knowledge but this what I would do thoroughly wash the whole area hard or treat the area with de wax solution, now select the 600 grit paper and some normal soap gently flat the lacquer on the good part of the area the lacquer will appear as a white residue on the rubbing paper do not rub through the good lacquer just remove a fine skin to the edge of the affected part now start to use the 800 grit paper and repeat the the process again lightly wash of often and dry off to see the results you would need to have about six inches rubbing down area all around the affected parts he finish you will see is a dull but very smooth area. Now use the 1000 grit and rub all of the area good and affected part carefully you are aiming to blend any edges in to each other but do not rub though the paint colour, now mask the area be aware of the air temp it needs to be a sunny day say around 20 plus degrees if any humidity no good the lacquer will dry milky looking so dry warm air is required to paint as you are out side, now start spraying the affected area first applying several coats the idear is to build up the affected area to match the good area in depth of lacquer be watching for flys in it and any dust if you do get any amount let lacquer dry and rub down with 800  grit and soap to remove the contamination, now for the finish coating before final coating clean entire area wash gently and dry thoroughly now again start by spraying the affected area and start to extend the spraying area out onto the good area applying 3 to 5 coats now leave to dry completely say around two days in warm weather. You can now rub the entire area with soap and 1000 grit this should produce a dull looking finish very smooth and clean after this use the compound and burnish the whole area to bring it up to a glossy finish then polish and the repainted area should blend in with each other hope the above helps you it’s a lengthy process but you can do it yourself a word of advice practice spraying from a aerosol to get some idea on coverage and use and use light coats to avoid getting runs don’t put to heavy coats on in one go light and many with flash of time between coats read the can for info.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I got 2 lacquer peal spots in the front of the bonnet. Start of the year i sorted one spot by scraping off loose lacquer then applying more with a spray can.

7 months later another spot appeared so i repeated the process. Big mistake was i used the same lacquer can and its gone yellowish and looks shit.

I dont want to spend on a respray so looking at a carbon bonnet or wrap or worse comes to worse.... A bonnet bra.

Will get some pics up hopefully i can salvage it and get the yellow lacquer off and use new stuff.

Edited by slybunda

Depending where it is exactly and how bad you can respray part panels with spraycans and get a good match if you do it properly and use good quality spraycans filled at a good paint supplier 

• 3 weeks later...

I repainted my rear spoiler, the top half of both front wings and the corner of the bonnet due to lacquer peel. Cost me about £30 per section in materials, if that. Got a good finish from cans.

The process is in my build thread with pictures too.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.