Running Smaller Wipers with Sunstrip?

Bonjour!

I recently installed a sunstrip on the outside of my windscreen, and I read somewhere that any wipers passing over this area can fail my MOT...

Asked my buddy who is an MOT tester and he said the same - Question is, he told me that I cant run anything other than the stock size wipers...but he wasn't 100% sure...

So, how would I go about this?

Anyone else done this and gone through an MOT?

Thanks!

Does the sun strip effect the drivers view of the road? Ie me at 6’2 sitting in the car looking straight head will it effect my view? Is it a solid colour, not transparent?  

Would fitting smaller wipers effect the swept area again effecting the drivers view of the road? 

Measuring the wiper blades will not be part of the test, as a tester myself I have no idea what size wipers should be fitted to every car I’ve tested. Neither does it list a size for any cars. Truth be told I wouldn’t even think to measure the blades if I was happy that it clearing a good enough section of the screen. The only test to be done on a wiper blade is does it clear the screen, yes, is it secure, yes, does it leave a good field of vision clean, yes, then it’ll pass. I wouldn’t care if you fitted 10” wipers, as long as I can see enough to be sure that your vision isn’t compromised. Neither do I care if the wipers split, as long as it’s secure and clearing. You don’t even need to run your finger down the blade. The test isn’t to fail the car, I don’t go looking for failures, I test every car to make sure it’s safe, if it isn’t then it shouldn’t be on the road. 

Also so don’t forget a lot of the test is down to the testers opinion, yes there’s set limits for certain things, but things like play in joint, what one jobs worth thinks is a failure could if the DVSA inspect the car be deemed it as a pass and advise. I was always told that if I was ever in doubt to pass and advise it, if I’ve told you something ain’t quite right and you ignore it and crash, it’s on you. MOT standards are very low standards. You can read all the standards in sections 3 of the mot manual, it’s on the .gov website and anybody can view it. 

Oh but I’d remove the tint on the headlight if it effect the light output colour lol

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Old Red Celica said:

As far as I know, just running smaller wipers is legal.

Brilliant! Thanks OldRed

19 hours ago, Cleario said:

Does the sun strip effect the drivers view of the road? Ie me at 6’2 sitting in the car looking straight head will it effect my view? Is it a solid colour, not transparent?  

Would fitting smaller wipers effect the swept area again effecting the drivers view of the road? 

Measuring the wiper blades will not be part of the test, as a tester myself I have no idea what size wipers should be fitted to every car I’ve tested. Neither does it list a size for any cars. Truth be told I wouldn’t even think to measure the blades if I was happy that it clearing a good enough section of the screen. The only test to be done on a wiper blade is does it clear the screen, yes, is it secure, yes, does it leave a good field of vision clean, yes, then it’ll pass. I wouldn’t care if you fitted 10” wipers, as long as I can see enough to be sure that your vision isn’t compromised. Neither do I care if the wipers split, as long as it’s secure and clearing. You don’t even need to run your finger down the blade. The test isn’t to fail the car, I don’t go looking for failures, I test every car to make sure it’s safe, if it isn’t then it shouldn’t be on the road. 

Also so don’t forget a lot of the test is down to the testers opinion, yes there’s set limits for certain things, but things like play in joint, what one jobs worth thinks is a failure could if the DVSA inspect the car be deemed it as a pass and advise. I was always told that if I was ever in doubt to pass and advise it, if I’ve told you something ain’t quite right and you ignore it and crash, it’s on you. MOT standards are very low standards. You can read all the standards in sections 3 of the mot manual, it’s on the .gov website and anybody can view it. 

Oh but I’d remove the tint on the headlight if it effect the light output colour lol

Well, the sunstrip doesn't come down any further than it would do if the sun visors were down - I did it to this effect mainly because my hands free kit is on my sun visor and a bit of a pain attempting to turn it around every time I move it up and down...

Solid Colour sunstrip yes, not transparent.

I do agree with you though, I only ever get my car MOT'd at Toyota via my cousin and generally they are pretty thorough - they make sure the car is safe, but wouldn't fail me for having a, air freshener hanging in the window :P

The chameleon Tint went a long time ago :( it looked great but it was pulled off before last years MOT...

I really need to update my build thread and profile picture -.- so much has changed!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.