Getting your car high and safe?

Sherv

So I've been looking at ways to get the car up,for those jobs where you DON'T need to remove the wheels.Yes,axle stands are fine and you can get some nice high stable ones,but I'm looking at ways to get the car up to a really good workable height without using them,and having something the wheels sit on instead.Safe and stable.

You can buy drive on style ramps,that have built in bottle jacks and secure pins to pump it up an extra few inches.Bit pricey.But looking at alternatives.I've Googled a lot today,and not found anything thats quite the job on a cheap budget.ie next to bugger all.

Now I've got a nice heavy duty mega pro garage jack,thatll pump up a car to a properly good height.So was thinking for example of using normal car ramps that ive got,jack the car up and lower it onto them rather than drive the car on.(far safer if you're on your own!).

All well and good,but the average height of a car ramp is around 20cm only.I have looked at seeing if there are lift stands,that would be maybe double the height,without the 'drive on' bit.Lower the car onto them,jobs a goodun.But not had much luck other than one or two US jobbies.

Example

Basically a solid version of these,would be ideal.

Thinking more of some nice extra thick railway sleeper cuts,slightly bigger than the footprint of the car ramps.Should be nice and flat,plenty strong enough to hold the weight,get 4 of those cut and then with the ramps on top,would give a nicer clearance for undersealing,etc etc.So would jack the car centrally,,position those under the wheels with the ramps on top,and lower down either one end at a time with the opposite end chocked,or get all 4 wheels off the ground if desired.The sleepers would be wider than the ramp footprint so be nice and safe.Could double stack the sleepers each side if only one end of the car needs to be off the ground,cant see it being unstable once the weight of the car is on.And not as much faffing about as it sounds,Jack,stack,position,lower down.And easy enough to store in the garage.Any other thoughts?

Edited by Sherv

Pretty simple for someone to make,if they can do welding.Which I can't :lol: .And I want 15% of any profits :lol:

Just basically similar design to a car ramp,bit taller with a wider base and no 'drive up' bit.Pretty simple design.Could make 4 up out of some old ramps,to be honest.

Might go down to my local timber merchants tomorrow,see what they got knocking about in the meantime

Edited by Sherv
  • Like 1

6vLHc8Sh.jpg

Hx2GQgyh.jpg

uFlp7pXh.jpg

AdsJAKth.jpg

not quite finished yet but the 4 column things is strong enough to support the wheels,then altering my ramps the idea is to be able to drive car up so all 4 wheels are on these column thingies then able to remove the ramp and bit inbetween leaving it sitting just 4 columns:thumbsup:

• Like 1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOBILE-SCISSOR-LIFT-TILTING-CAR-LIFT-RAMP-ADJUSTABLE-WIDTH-1500Kg-Capacity/283504978329?hash=item420236a999:g:9KwAAOSwcUBYLvBi

I think bumblebee has something similar, looking at getting one for when I get rid of the unit, been working on the floor using axle stands all week and now i think ive done my back in... 

@Bumblebee

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ams said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOBILE-SCISSOR-LIFT-TILTING-CAR-LIFT-RAMP-ADJUSTABLE-WIDTH-1500Kg-Capacity/283504978329?hash=item420236a999:g:9KwAAOSwcUBYLvBi

I think bumblebee has something similar, looking at getting one for when I get rid of the unit, been working on the floor using axle stands all week and now i think ive done my back in... 

@Bumblebee

not particularly cheap as you need a decent compressor to go with it but its been a god send for me so far . Lifts up to 1m which for me is plenty and when  you don't need it you can stand it against the wall although you do need a set of chain blocks to lift it 

44231249_10156864615490439_8387138163407060992_n.jpg.68b745c4d85453f168a917ef75f31a80.jpg

Yeah not sure about the DIY MR2 one. All the foldy hydraulic stuff is cool but as i said,budget next to bugger all!

Jims got the idea,just 4 standalone columns of good strength and with the ability to stop the wheel rotating once on.Would probably need one end of the car on some raisers though,if you werent using a driveon, then once one end is up in the air,if you did want the entire car off the ground then youd need one end on some slabs or whatever first to get the jack under as the car would be at a big angle!

9 hours ago, ams said:

....been working on the floor using axle stands all week and now i think ive done my back in... 

@Bumblebee

This is also the reason for getting better height.I have to watch my back after having a discectomy when i was 30. I did the underside of the gen4 years back with it on axle stands,and it was a bit of a killer.I want to do some cleanup under the GT4,and also to be able to keep the Gen4 good,so I'm not going to fold myself about any more,too old and rounded for that shit these days

Edited by Sherv
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sherv said:

Yeah not sure about the DIY MR2 one. All the foldy hydraulic stuff is cool but as i said,budget next to bugger all!

Jims got the idea,just 4 standalone columns of good strength and with the ability to stop the wheel rotating once on.Would probably need one end of the car on some raisers though,if you werent using a driveon, then once one end is up in the air,if you did want the entire car off the ground then youd need one end on some slabs or whatever first to get the jack under as the car would be at a big angle!

This is also the reason for getting better height.I have to watch my back after having a discectomy when i was 30. I did the underside of the gen4 years back with it on axle stands,and it was a bit of a killer.I want to do some cleanup under the GT4,and also to be able to keep the Gen4 good,so I'm not going to fold myself about any more,too old and rounded for that shit these days

if you want a set i can knock some up for you,100ft of 30x30mm angle iron,problem would be getting a courier,but it no problem to make you a set,the ramps used up 150ft and the cross ramps which are no finished yet was 100ft.

Thats good of you mate.I would only really need just the stands for the corners.Let me check out the other options first though.Pity we're opposite ends of the country LOL. I might have a word with a couple of mates as well,see if i can get something done locally.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.