Welcome to Celica Club UK

Welcome to Celica Club UK, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
  • Use the wealth of knowledge our members have to help with any questions you may have.

Sign in to follow this  
bazz54

Good Filter Removal tool?

Question

I've got three different filter removal tools and all are a PIA. I recall someone on the forum recommending one tool as the dog's goolies, but cannot find the thread. Any suggestions please?

B

12 answers to this question

2 screwdrivers and a hammer!

For the future, K&N ones have a nut moulded in to the bottom of them :D

1 hour ago, Spaff said:

2 screwdrivers and a hammer!

Sounds like some really dodgy film you'd find on the deep web! 

• Haha 1

I'm happy with Lidl's Powerfix version. Use the replacement filter to get a loose fit, then tighten onto the old one. Of course, if you can wait until they're in-store, you'll save on the postage if ordering from eBay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPtzS7qr6Os

53 minutes ago, Cal670 said:

Sounds like some really dodgy film you'd find on the deep web! 

Oh man I think I've actually seen a video called that now you mention it. I'd forgotten that for a reason...

These, https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/summer-essentials/car-accessories/summer-essentials-deals/?553981060&0&cc5_1055&type=shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwt_nmBRD0ARIsAJYs6o2otwH0oiaB18dxxjhDiiKrnXXXq_0Vnyr2k6IoyBRo3gDkPOZ1XLwaAj5nEALw_wcB

don’t buy anything else, I’ve got the claw, the straps, chains, fabric wrap all fit some kind of car, the pliers just fit everything. I’ve used mine for the last 6/7 years everyday and still rave about them to anybody who’s joined our workshop and doesn’t have a set. 

• Like 1

Thanks for suggestions guys. I've never been a fan of K&N, but it's surprising they are the only people to add the nut, though I suppose you do pay for that. Changing the filter a couple of days ago, I started off with a clamp thing made in the US by Craftsman tools and that was just slipping, so then I went to an old Draper "bicycle chain" thing, which worked, but is damn fiddly. Time I got something which is works first time and every time!

On 17/05/2019 at 22:00, Spaff said:

Oh man I think I've actually seen a video called that now you mention it. I'd forgotten that for a reason...

Better than church of fudge... and i don't recommend that on the works laptop!

Similar to what "99GT" uses, I have one of these which fits Mann filters really well.

oil-filter-tool-001.jpg

I use a filter strap, one of the draper ones in the link. The only issue with them is the webbing is a bit thin and stretches...I replaced the webbing with thicker & stronger polyester. It's 10 years old now and still going strong, never failed to get a filter off on all manner of different cars. Also it's nice and small so works on filters that are buried in daft places....a lot of the ones listed on here only work on filters with clear space around them ;)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oil-Filter-Strap-Wrench-Remover-Removal-Installer-Tool-Nylon-Strap-1-2-Drive/401746733512?hash=item5d89f8a9c8:g:bt4AAOSwl2xcrZI1

i have both the cup version that works providing you havent done up the oil filter tighter than normal but most of the time i use the draper strap wrench ..brill bit of kit if you have done up tight ..

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Follow @celicaclubuk
All pages © celica-club 2001 - 2019 (Unless otherwise stated). No pictures can be used without our consent. Terms of use | Privacy policy