Good Filter Removal tool?

I've got three different filter removal tools and all are a PIA. I recall someone on the forum recommending one tool as the dog's goolies, but cannot find the thread. Any suggestions please?

B

53 minutes ago, Cal670 said:

Sounds like some really dodgy film you'd find on the deep web! 

Oh man I think I've actually seen a video called that now you mention it. I'd forgotten that for a reason...

These, https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/summer-essentials/car-accessories/summer-essentials-deals/?553981060&0&cc5_1055&type=shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwt_nmBRD0ARIsAJYs6o2otwH0oiaB18dxxjhDiiKrnXXXq_0Vnyr2k6IoyBRo3gDkPOZ1XLwaAj5nEALw_wcB

don’t buy anything else, I’ve got the claw, the straps, chains, fabric wrap all fit some kind of car, the pliers just fit everything. I’ve used mine for the last 6/7 years everyday and still rave about them to anybody who’s joined our workshop and doesn’t have a set. 

• Like 1

Thanks for suggestions guys. I've never been a fan of K&N, but it's surprising they are the only people to add the nut, though I suppose you do pay for that. Changing the filter a couple of days ago, I started off with a clamp thing made in the US by Craftsman tools and that was just slipping, so then I went to an old Draper "bicycle chain" thing, which worked, but is damn fiddly. Time I got something which is works first time and every time!

• 2 weeks later...

I use a filter strap, one of the draper ones in the link. The only issue with them is the webbing is a bit thin and stretches...I replaced the webbing with thicker & stronger polyester. It's 10 years old now and still going strong, never failed to get a filter off on all manner of different cars. Also it's nice and small so works on filters that are buried in daft places....a lot of the ones listed on here only work on filters with clear space around them ;)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oil-Filter-Strap-Wrench-Remover-Removal-Installer-Tool-Nylon-Strap-1-2-Drive/401746733512?hash=item5d89f8a9c8:g:bt4AAOSwl2xcrZI1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.