Losing weight, dramatically increase mpg

Whenever I've tried without the spare wheel I've noticed a slight difference at low rpm, the same when I filled my car up with stuff or people I've noticed a difference in acceleration especially at low RPM. The torque is so low under 2000rpm in the Gen 7

When I removed the spare wheel on my MR2 Turbo (in the front) it affected the handling in a bad way by making the front and steering too light

On 22/03/2019 at 03:00, Sherv said:

Ive worked out a while ago that the extra performance i could squeeze out of my car is directly related to the weight of the driver.Sad but true :giveup:

I’ve reduced the weight in my car by over 30 kilos.  By losing weight.

Compared with that, removing the sound system and using a gen 6 space saver spare wheel instead of the full size spare counts for very little.

• Like 2

On the Gen7 190 the stock (axle-back) exhaust is not light. There are heavier aftermarket ones but compared to the Japspeed it ways a ton. The Blitz wasn't much better, if at all.

The Tech5's on a GT are really heavy. Can't comment on how the compare to other 17x7 stock wheels but I can carry two of my gram lights with ease but walking any distance with a Tech5 and my back really knows about it.

Been on the constant lookout for someone selling a spare Gram Light 57c to match the ones I have.

• Sherv changed the title to Losing weight, dramatically increase mpg

If anyone's interested I've just measured how much the sound deadening weighs in the front of the car, as I chipped it all off I put it into a bag and it came out at 7.8kg not inluding the sound deadening in the boot. 

No idea what it will be like on the road with it gone, for me it doesn't matter as the car doesn't see much road, but I imagine it won't make it a particular pleasant experience on long journeys :lol:

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 21/03/2019 at 09:50, CelicaDan94 said:

Hey all.

So 2 weekends ago I removed about 10kg - 20kg of weight from my boot. I was get about 200-230 miles to a tank. Now I have emptyed my boot I have got 250 miles and still a quarter of a tank left. I knew that reducing weight improves mpg (and speed :D ) but I never knew it was to that extent.

I think next up is remove the back seats and strip the sound system out and I may see 300 miles to a tank.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

If its a gen7 you got then 250 to a tank is not a weight saving problem. I get 350 plus miles to a full tank thats with me and 2 others in the car. And i weight 150kg alone.

Unless you got a super charger on it somethings not right. Then again if your giving it the beans non stop the your doing rather well. Lol

I hit lift everytime I drive. I'm addicted to the sound of a straight through exhaust with a enclosed ram Air filter. Plus everyday I go on a duel carriage way at least 4 times a day. I know I could eco drive to save fuel but why change driving style when you can lose weight in the car [emoji38]

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.