All linked to a dead battery

Master flex

Afternoon all,

I'm hoping this is all coincidental; I went to get a new key made today as the housing on my current one is cabbaged. Job looks a good one for £3 to cut the blade (I provided the blank)

When I got back to my car all of the central locking has to both driver and passenger doors failed; but the boot locks and unlocks fine. It took a while to get to this stage as the passenger door was working fine, but now doesn't lock like the drivers side. Manually locking from inside doesn't work either. So I was starting to think starter motor, then the solenoid when both failed...

Key has the same transponder, just into a new housing, it all works fine. Tried to start the car and it is now bleeping and there are various lights flashing in sequence to the bleeps. These have now stopped but the car does not start up. It all looks indicative of a flat battery (battery and locking were all fine last night when I was arsing about in it) but had anyone had this happen to them before ?

Hopefully it's a battery issue and not a security / alarm one. Always typical when you lend a battery starter to someone; yours goes. (Hopefully it's that)

Video below to show you:-

Thanks guys

UPDATE ---------

Duck of the year here guys, never done it before in 12 years of owning a car... only noticed when I felt the heat on my bald head.

I'll accept all insults and embrace them :lol:

20190227_152139.jpg

Edited by Master flex

I was planning to do that but seen a horror story on here of one that could have potentially set on fire.

Ironically, as you mentioned, light from it was so weak I might have well not bothered with it. You'll be pleased to hear I didn't burn my dome! 

I'll be looking for a interior LED now...

On 28/02/2019 at 06:28, slybunda said:

Change that interior bulb to led. Uses less energy. Is brighter so you can easily see its turned on and wont generate the heat onto your slaphead.

Lol

Hopefully battery charges up fine

Thinks it's cabbaged. Had it on for 3 hours on a 20 Amp cycle. Everything worked fine but just about wouldn't start over.

During charge the chargers internal ammeter shows the battery fully charged but once taken off and it's measuring the battery it's dropping to 50% and doesn't seem to increase. I imagine dead cell. Have found a replacement Bosch S4 021 battery new for £50 so it's not the end of the world I suppose.

Edited by Master flex

Yea gen 7 mate (190). The guy before fitted the 021. But when I went to look for a replacement it was 50/50 what search engines said compatable/ not compatable.

I just whacked it on for another 2 hours and it started better than it ever has before.

I had it out separated from the car so thought worst i could do is overcharge ot; of ita gone its gone anyway. So it looks like the gauge on the charger isn't much use. Multimeter ordered.

Edited by Master flex

Bit of an update on this.

Car starts fine then once you get out and try to start it again; it will not start. It ticks over fine but will not start up. Has done this for the last 3 days now; after leaving it 30 minutes it started O.K (battery reading 13.4V)

Jump forward to today and it just about started after I left it an hour and it only just about started. Luckily it was already at the garage going in for the subframe replacement.

This has got me completely; the battery is fine, but it could have something to do with the immobilizer. I recently had my keys cut and when it did start; it was using my original blade in the ignition.

I think I live in hope on the above as the mechanics are thinking it's crankshaft sensor... complete curve ball. We will soon see.

Edited by Master flex

There are 2 on my model (VVTL-i 190)

The bottom one stops flashing once the remote locking opens the doors.

The upper one (with the security wording) continues to flash red and continues to do so whilst trying to start the car.

Hope this helps aja. 

I cant remember off hand but i will check later, if a key isnt read the led will tell you and the engine wont start.

Does the engine try to turn over when you have the problem? as when i had a key that wasnt coded my engine would turn over but not fire.

7 hours ago, Master flex said:

AMS resolved this. My god damn new flip key conversion was putting the transponder in a location that would not disable the immobilizer.

Well done AMS

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.