MOT Advisory

Freeman558

Noisy Exhaust..

Never had that before, I know the law regarding modified exhausts but I've never had tester decide to comment on it.

Is this going to be a common thing I did I just find a vigilant tester.

Other than that it passed (except my headlights need changing, again)

Had this on my convertible a couple of times, one of the times the tester said 'i needed to put it on there, but dont change it it sounds awesome' Depends on the tester, last couple of times it wasnt on the advisory. Wouldn't worry about it

I thought the rule about after market exhausts was older than that. That would explain why I'd never seen anything like that on the MOT's before.

They weren't dicks about it so I don't have an issue going back there but I do need to sort out some new lights to get through the next one as the lenses on mine are messed up.

And yes, it passed :D which is good news as I'll be out of work in 2 weeks. Which should be bad news but I sort of hate it here so I'm actually kinda happy  about it.

1 hour ago, ESTHAR_CITY said:

Can you not just clean the lenses up rather then new headlights? New horizons mate, I'm sure you will find a job loads better, I'm waiting for the right time to leave mine.

yep its amazing what some polish , drill buffer and wax sealant does :

43548054_708867179479567_3694227763587186688_n.thumb.jpg.ec06c5ca72b93a149527450448b0f06a.jpg

As Ams said it’s better for the tester to advise these things. It’s down to his  discretion to fail it as excessive or just advise the presenter that it’s louder than another vehicl. Personally I’d advise it just in case the dvsa check the car after and pull him up. I recently got caught out with an airfresnsher obstructing  the drivers view of the road. 

• Like 1

Had advisories on my old GT for having a Noisy exhaust ever since my run in with the local plod regarding my exhausts 'Looking loud'  & my mate who is  my MOT tester found out.

There are regulations regarding noise, ISO5130 gives the procedure on how to static test. BUT and this is the problem, the regulations for noise test is actually 82dB at a 30mph drive by test.

Static test for SVA or import is 99dB taken at 3750RPM. The Police can do a test, it is the static one, they ask you to rev to 3/4 of the way to the red line 3 times & take an average. (this is actually wrong as they pick and choose the lowest possible limit so will try and fail your ca)r Norfolk Police state that the regs are 82dB, but in court they were proven wrong.

Basically, the law is that if you have an aftermarket exhaust, it must not be louder than that of a standard system.

Toyota do not know what the dB reading on standard system on a Gen 6 should be.

An MOT tester can fail a car if he/she feels that the noise it too loud, but cannot actually test for noise using a dB meter. so it is a persons perspective. Some like loud exhausts, some don't. 

There is a much longer story to this back in my archives if you really want to search for it..

OK I need to stop you all here with your "Here's how to clean the glass for you headlights" Should of said something earlier I just didn't expect that particular band wagon to carry so many :P

Yep, I know how to do this, I have the kit. I also do it regularly to refurbish the screens on card Payment terminals.

The lens that is spreading out the light distribution on the one inside the head light.

I bought a modified set of OEM from here some time ago and I thought I had thrown them out (they were shit, tbh) but it turned out I had thrown out one of my originals so when I sent lights to Eddie to get the gadgetman treatment one of the headlights had already been tampered with and had the "terminator" red light mod. It's this one that is causing the issue as Eddie had to try to make it match the stock one.

Edited by Freeman558
  • Like 1

seen this at different mot stations and testers, noisy exhaust is usually up there with undertrays blocking view of under engine or something on those lines. its just the mot tester covering his own back, and rightfully so. dont want to risk loosing the mot licence.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.