Gen6 and gen7 wheel nuts.

I have purchased a set of OEM gen 7 wheels which have been refurbished, balanced and tyres added.

They are 17 inch and want to put them on my gen6.

Problem is when I do I get wheel wobble at about 70 and I'm struggling to diagnose why.

I'm not sure if the bigger wheels are making an unnoticed problem worse (currently on 15s) or if there is another issue.

The photo below is a OEM gen6 nut on the left and the nut on the right is what I am using on the 17s.

Does anyone know what a OEM gen7 wheel nut looks like?

I've also put a picture of the wheel hole below as well.

Just wondering if I'm using the correct or wrong nut.

2ced48b89beeced84926702924d1c9b5.jpg&key=432aa87290b4140d3a4f89dcd4aa63ea1091947bc5c829ff9184ae4efd9b610f869d43fcff38e9beb277a06b2c6b09ca.jpg&key=6f3a338f0cb4f7e6af035040b8e6adbff4f062be0e081d20f282e72778f8632a7e24ad51e11cc9b954bc956a42c46135.jpg&key=1c807e6f780dbf53a1443a6abcd37cce3f19d91bedd9fdad18fcb44d794b116d

With one exception, all the rims fitted to the Gen 7 in the UK (16" or 17") were manufactured by Fondmetal, and need collared nuts.

The rims you've just shown, ARE that exception. They were made by Team Dynamics, fitted to some pre face lift cars as an extra cost option, and I think, take tapered nuts. Hopefully, someone will confirm. Apologies for not checking the first pics. more carefully, but you don't see many of these rims around these days, with it being nearly 17 years since they were offered, and the high level of corrosion these diamond cut rims suffered from. Which is probably why they were discontinued.

As Old Red says, the Centre Bore needs to be 54.1, and that's easily measured.

The centre bore is correct.

Have been messing with cars for sometime so did think the tapered nuts looked correct for the wheels but always think it's worth checking these things with experienced owners when dealing with a "new to me" car.

I shall leave the 15s on for now as it fine with those and continue to diagnose the wobble on the 17's.

I would get them to check the balancing again. It's possible that they didn't set the machine correctly or set it to the finest setting 5g not the usual 10g . I have had cars that the balancing needs to be spot on and I have had cars that can be 20 grams out with no effect.

I would get them to check the balancing again. It's possible that they didn't set the machine correctly or set it to the finest setting 5g not the usual 10g . I have had cars that the balancing needs to be spot on and I have had cars that can be 20 grams out with no effect.
Yes, I think that's a good plan.

If they balance up ok and the problem is still there I'll probably just get some decent tyres for the 15's and sell these on knowing that it must be an issue on the car being made worse with bigger wheels.

Shame though as they look lovely with the fresh refurb and decent new tyres.

Yes, I think that's a good plan.

If they balance up ok and the problem is still there I'll probably just get some decent tyres for the 15's and sell these on knowing that it must be an issue on the car being made worse with bigger wheels.

Shame though as they look lovely with the fresh refurb and decent new tyres.
Get them to check they are not buckled as well but I thought they would have said.
Balancing can be tricky if your trying to hide the weights one measurement out and you will get a wobble I always check mine at least twice but I'm lucky and have my own machine

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Get them to check they are not buckled as well but I thought they would have said.
Balancing can be tricky if your trying to hide the weights one measurement out and you will get a wobble I always check mine at least twice but I'm lucky and have my own machine

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thank s mate.

The refurb company said they weren't buckled.

Tyres and balancing done by a different company who also seemed happy with the result.

Two of the wheels have 15g the other two 45g and I have tried rotating which makes no difference to the wobble.

I will get the balancing done again but I wonder if it's something worn on the car that is made worse by bigger wheels.

The car is my daily and didn't intend to spend to much money on modifications as I have other projects so don't want to go to crazy looking for something if the 15s work ok, which they do.

Shame though as 17's really suit the car.

Assuming you have had them balanced a second time and the problem remains then a problem I have seen in the past is the refurb places put too much paint on the back mating surface - so it doesnt give a flush flat finish against the hub - causing a wobble.. the other place is the centre hole where it mounts - thats easier to spot as they dont go on easy.

Post up a pic of the back of the wheel - might be worth sanding them back if thats the case

• Like 1

Assuming you have had them balanced a second time and the problem remains then a problem I have seen in the past is the refurb places put too much paint on the back mating surface - so it doesnt give a flush flat finish against the hub - causing a wobble.. the other place is the centre hole where it mounts - thats easier to spot as they dont go on easy.

Post up a pic of the back of the wheel - might be worth sanding them back if thats the case
Thanks. Ill have a look and post up a pic [emoji4]

• 4 weeks later...

That looks fine to me. 

So if the wheels are swapped does the imbalance stay on the same part of the car or move with the same wheel/tyre?

Are the wheel nuts correct? Does the imbalance only affect one wheel?

Just to clarify, can you confirm what wheels you have had refurbished? The 17" Gen7 Team Dynamics?

What wheel nuts are you using? The collared ones?

That looks fine to me. 
So if the wheels are swapped does the imbalance stay on the same part of the car or move with the same wheel/tyre?

Are the wheel nuts correct? Does the imbalance only affect one wheel?

Just to clarify, can you confirm what wheels you have had refurbished? The 17" Gen7 Team Dynamics?

What wheel nuts are you using? The collared ones?

Wheels swapped side to side front to back makes no difference steering wheel wobbles the same for all positions.

The wheels are the diamond cut ones from the gen7 but refurbished in silver.

Using tapered nuts which I believe are correct for the wheel.

Need someone to confirm what nuts are correct for those wheels.

I don't have one of those around to double check myself.

They used to be a lovely wheel when new.

One thought, are the nuts long enough? They might be tight on the stud but not actually holding the wheel tight to the hub.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.