Looking for my next Celica, is milage an issue?.

Hi folks, 

Havent posted in awhile, applying for new jobs etc, my 05 Celica is now gone after a problematic time Im searching once more to find the right car. I have been looking at some lovely examples from 04/05 and even the odd 90's shape ones.

Im just curious folks while Im trying to find as low millage as possible on them does any with say 150k etc matter?,  as this will be a daily, seen a nice 96 ST for sale here actually in the for sale section which catches my eye, but given at this moment I do anywhere between 250 and 280 miles per week, this will hopefully be reduced if I get this new job I have applied for will reduce my milage quite a bit, will save me 280 over the whole month on the car. Fingers crossed I get it.

So just wanted some input on what you kind folk thought. Good daily runner?. 

Edited by SpaceCowboys83

What's your budget? I have far to much free time so I am always searching the Web for cars so I can help you look. If you have 7k to spend splinter is selling moo which would be well worth the money.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I’d buy a high mileage car, mine is just under 200k on a 04. Mechanically she’s mint but the mileage took it hit on the bodywork and glass.

My front bumper and bonnet is full of stone chips, the screen is full of tiny chips and light scratches. My steering wheel has started to peel.

im not prepared to put any money into my car, it’s been a great car for what it is, it’ll never be a show car again, I know I can jump in it and drive it, abuse it, leave it anywhere without worrying about it getting scratched or bumped. Fill it full of crap to take to the tip, throw my bike in the back without worringing about scratching anything. She stands me 5K for 9 years and 150k of motoring including buying and replacement parts. My celica ownership is coming to an end, I’ve outgrown the car I want something faster, newer and more comfortable, but I don’t think anything will be as good. 

• Like 2

Higher mileage but well looked after better than lower and not well looked after. They like to be driven too. Would keep to 2.0 ltr gen 6 gt over the 1.8 st as they can start suffering the oil burn death, the gt is pretty much able to take anything you want to throw at it and is a well built car. Gen 7 steer clear of early 140's but otherwise not really any personal experience of them. Will say though mileage indicators are helpful with some things like clutch approx 90,000 and cambelt etc you can get one a bit higher which has had the first ones done

I'd always prefer to buy on condition rather than mileage. The GT4 I had managed nearly 200k and was still a great example and that's with a turbo and 4WD.

But as above, I'd not get an AT200, I'd go for an ST202 instead. The extra 200cc buys you more power, more reliability and when driven somewhat carefully will deliver the same mpg.

Thanks guys.

I was considering this too.

https://www.staffordlynnatburnroadtradesales.co.uk/used-cars/toyota-celica-1-8-vvtl-i-t-sport-3dr-leather-ballyclare-201811252741466?at_source=autotrader&at_medium=desktop&at_campaign=website-visit&_ga=2.213647639.248954890.1546035657-103750596.1545937516&fbclid=IwAR0bniqbyL7w3RZ1TXfoU_-yMyJBrg4h3lRMpMPIT3KsFUmT23MoRUXyEvw

I would like this one or would go a little old skool. So the 2.0 GT Gen 6 is a good one then?.

I would say at this moment £2,800 be my limit, but waiting to see if I get this job first, if all goes well I can really start looking properly and making a solid commitment as this job Ive done the first interview for is ALLOT closer to home which is really good, cuts my traveling time down rightly to 40 miles a day compared to my current 54/55 a day, plus extra when called for so sometimes Im hitting near 60 a day, so this new job will just be 40 miles a day and thats it, no extra work travel required as the position is on site constantly which is good. 

I dont mind a little higher milage long as the car is totally mechanically and structurally fantastic, I get very attached to my cars so want to make sure long as its well maintained she will have plenty of life left in her with little to no issues getting her through the dreaded MOT's as it she will be a daily runner.

Thanks guys for the input, any help at all is as always appreciated. 

Im also going to look at this one this wknd as well, I really like it.

Its got a great service history and from what Ive been told over the phone, its a two owner car, both owners looked after it really well, plus he sold the car originally to who was the current owner. That blue looks so rich.

So taking a peak at both the red 190 and the blue 140 this weekend. Its by appointment only so Ive booked both cars lol, red one owned for last 6 years by a younger lad, but the red one doesn't have much history, it has some, but the blue one has every record under the sun which appeals to me greatly. 

Have a peak folks, let me know what you think, the blue one has 93k which sounds like nothing to these beauties as once I get the right car I have no intentions of parting with it until the day I hang up the keys. So want to make sure I get the right car that will last, so if 93k is nothing on it's life span, then will get that one.

https://www.staffordlynnatburnroadtradesales.co.uk/used-cars/toyota-celica-1-8-vvt-i-3dr-201811042118019

IMHO, both cars are on the high side price wise.

I'd be catching the ferry over to Liverpool, to have a look at a "Premium Blue".

Makes the spec. of the Lagoon 140 look very low rent, and with the electric sunroof, has a higher spec. than the Chilli T Sport.

Save yourself around a grand in the meantime.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-54-Reg-Toyota-Celica-1-8-VVT-i-Premium-Celica-Blue/382488744126?hash=item590e1b10be:g:tL4AAOSw4aZbH8mQ:rk:2:pf:0

my 2.0 gt is on 142k, and doesnt burn any oil or coolant.
my old 1.8 sr was on 142k as well, and that burned about half a litre of oil, every 1000 miles-ish.
my old 1.8 140 engine, on 145k burned some oil too, although i only had it 3 or 4 weeks, crap car, didnt like it, lol

if that info's any use to you

if your interested, im selling my black 2.0 gen6 for 800. bargain considering how much time and money ive spent on it, over the last 6 months.
fitted a new clutch only 2k ago, and done loads of other work.
bodywork isnt amazing, but its reliable.

just bought an 8 seater mpv, so the celica needs to go

6 hours ago, budgetbondbile said:

LOL, Aye I saw those too, the red edition has been for sale for donkeys, saw that one way last year before I bought my black 140. blimey thought that red edition be sold by now. 

Blue one is very nice!. 

2 hours ago, Jimmylegs said:

If youre interested in a Gen 6 I'd get in touch with AlistairGT on here, He's bought a Faff so his red 202 is going to be up for sale in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers buddy, I sent him a message.

Im going to be viewing several over the new couple of weeks!. 

On 12/01/2019 at 20:45, budgetbondbile said:

The paintwork looks awesome in thay picture. Really pops.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.