Ceramic coating paintwork?

slybunda

From what I know about ceramic coatings, they are often used to stop metals oxidising at high temperatures, e.g. turbine blades, but I'm not sure that thin coatings of ceramics would be very tough or impact-resistant. Could this actually be a polymer coating which contains ceramic particles for re-enforcement?

I have it on my car and didnt get all the polish off in a couple of places and had to mop the car quite heavily to get back to the polish so it does do something.

I also found that somebody hit the corner of my bumper and left white paint on my car which came off when i washed the car leaving no mark at all.

I had it put on our black st before it was put on the road, it had a paint correction and coating applied and left in the workshop over night before I took home. It’s 2 years old now. I snow foam it and jet wash it off. I’d say 80% of the dirt just comes clean off. I’ve only washed and pat dried it since owning it and it looks mint. 

Ill defiantly be having it applied on what ever we get next when the fiesta goes back

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Highly recommend it, I have had it done on all my cars. 

I normally use Gtechniq on mine, although my buddy has started getting Drexler in and I have seen it on several Ferrari, Porsches and Beemers he has had in and its even better.

If I get this blue 140 will be getting a full 7 stage done and getting Drexler applied as well as getting underneath painted.

I highly recommend it.

I use ceramic coating on some of the parts I have got on the car, it’s really good stuff, the only downside is that that you will need to use ph neutral soaps aswell as a rejuvenising ceramic spray afterwards to like top the ceramic coating up as the stuff won’t last forever but lasts a lot longer than any wax you can buy 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Smwebb1993 said:

I use ceramic coating on some of the parts I have got on the car, it’s really good stuff, the only downside is that that you will need to use ph neutral soaps aswell as a rejuvenising ceramic spray afterwards to like top the ceramic coating up as the stuff won’t last forever but lasts a lot longer than any wax you can buy 

True buddy that is the only thing the ceramic does require a little after care if you want to get the most out of it and giving it a longer life span before reapplying again.

What do you use?.

Im considering switching to Drexler. 

Sonax CC36 on my BMW. Applied it last year and is an outstanding product. Great depth and exceptionally hydrophobic, certainly looks like it's protecting the paintwork on every wash. (BMW Sparkling Graphite Metallic)

I also tested it on the Celica. Coated one wing in the stuff, and while it seemed to give the protection, it still didn't stop the "red fade" in the summer sun.

Looks like it's great on modern clear coat finishes, but not so much on ropey old single stage MrT paint :D

1 hour ago, thermoacc said:

Sonax CC36 on my BMW. Applied it last year and is an outstanding product. Great depth and exceptionally hydrophobic, certainly looks like it's protecting the paintwork on every wash. (BMW Sparkling Graphite Metallic)

I also tested it on the Celica. Coated one wing in the stuff, and while it seemed to give the protection, it still didn't stop the "red fade" in the summer sun.

Looks like it's great on modern clear coat finishes, but not so much on ropey old single stage MrT paint :D

Never heard of Sonax personally but Ive had Gtechniq used on my motors, had it on my black 140 and it was superb. 

Im considering trying Drexler on my next celica if I buy this blue one next weekend. Will see how that applies to it. 

What are you thinking of trying on your Celica next yourself?. 

I tried a couple of the abundant cheap Chinese specials a while back 9H MrFix etc for a starter and they do seem to have done something I've not really paid too much attention to it and it's hard not to be psychosomatic over it but it does appear to be very hydrophobic, much better than wax at a comparable price appearing to be easier to clean and slightly shinier I don't know what the active ingredient s are but I assume either something similar or just a much cheaper version maybe like rain x or something, anyway applied it myself pretty quickly and easily, not half as shiny or magical as claimed unsurprisingly and I don't know how long it may last but would use again instead of wax as it does seem quite protective or upgrade to a proper ceramic so it's interesting to hear about some of the proper brands and how shiny/glossy they appear and whether you've all applied them yourselves and what they've cost?

• Like 1

I used a cheap ebay version that seems to have worked, somebody hit my car in a car park and left white paint on my bumper which just washed off.

I also use a co-polymer car wash that gives a great finish to any car but seems to work very well with the ceramic coating

It comes from a company called Wilcoxs wash supplies, there web sites not very good but they supply us with a wide range of valeting products.

The Co-polymer is like a wash and wax but it doesn't foam up, you add it to a bucket of water and wash the car in the usual way but when you rinse it the water just runs off. When dry it looks like you spent hours polishing and the effect lasts for months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mate of mine runs his own detailing shop, hes just started stocking Autobrite, never used it myself but its a wide range of products for safe washes and everything. 

You folk ever try Autobrite?, Im considering giving it a whirl, hes a recognised stockist of it so I might treat myself to the big pack which has everything in it and give it a whirl.

Edited by SpaceCowboys83

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.