Different diameter wheels front to rear

digs

Hi - currently running 17" 7j wedssport wheels both front and back. Tyres are 225 45 17 rear (too wide for wheel really) and 215 45 17 front.

Its a FWD celica with a 3SGTE, and want to try running wider fronts as that is where the power and traction is. 

I have some Oz Chronos which are 16" 8j wide, and some spare 16" tyres 225 50 16. Have four Ozs, but only two are usable.

Thinking chucking the oz on the front, and the 215 wedssports on the rears, total diameter for wheels and tyres will only be approx 6mm difference. 

Apart from aesthetics which dont really care is there anything majorly concerning about this ? Cant see, differing handling characteristics but the driven wheels are the important ones in that regard.

Poke etc doesn't matter.

As far as i know the larger wheel diameter on the rear is fine, a previous gen 6 Celica of mine had 15's on front, 16's at rear and drove fine, was also fine through an mot. Tester said yep its fine as long as bigger are on the rear and they arent different from side to side

Its only use same all round if got 4wd so i couldnt do it on the 185

thanks guys :) 

Did think on the rear breaking quicker than the front, but could only be a minor thing with good tyres, if at all.

Good to hear arizona - yeah not being 4wd dont have to have the same worries etc on that.

Might even look a little crazy if different colour for the cronos :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Monkey Boy 1 said:

Also, Wider front wheels of a FWD car will fail on an MOT.

Really? Didn't know that. 

4 hours ago, ams said:

If you get it wrong it can really affect handling. Lots of the MR2 guys end up going back to stock (wider rears) sizes after fitting the same size aftermarket wheels all round. 

My mr2 now has staggered set up and is Def nicer. 

Can try it out pretty much for free so can play around and see what feels. 225 on 7j feel better than 215.on 7j on it, so hoping 225 on 8j should work. 

One way to find out mind so will report back :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, arizona said:

Yes, i think i remember the guy at the mot place saying wider at back not front, as well as saying larger diameter to rear not front 

Will check out regs as if means mot. Invalid prob means insurance invalid too and that is not somewhere I want to be! Will check. 

• Like 1

Havent found anything about issues with wheel size in the mot regs, but could be missing it. Does talk about different sizes on the same axle, but thats not an issue here.

MOT for the 6 tomorrow......

The regulations:

Rear must be equal or wider.

Rear must be equal or lower profile.

It's all about stopping the back being less grippy or more squidgy than the front.

Not sure how much is checked in the MOT, I suspect both of the above.

• Like 1

on rear wheel drive you can get away with wider wheels, just check out any mercs or bmw,s, standard on mr2,s, 4wd need to be the same diameter. but if you want to try something different on fwd, maybe try this ....

_DSC1678.thumb.JPG.7175a0123fa5d7bba3a8450569da4eb0.JPG

but please keep it on track. :lol:

• Haha 1

On 11/1/2018 at 10:07, _Chris_ said:

The regulations:

Rear must be equal or wider.

Rear must be equal or lower profile.

It's all about stopping the back being less grippy or more squidgy than the front.

Not sure how much is checked in the MOT, I suspect both of the above.

Cool, thanks for that.. Do have 225 45 17 on the rear at the mo, and will have 225 50 16 on the front if fit the 16s, so  technically follow the regs, but was going to use the 215 45 17 on the back, which then don't. 

Admittedly it wasn’t coming up for an MOT so I didn’t know at the time but quite a few years ago I did try that myself.  In a straight line 1/4 mile drag etc it was great but driving around the streets I found it was all over the place. That’s only my opinion but I did try it once.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.