voilent exhaust after fitting klarius

G6-20

has anyone had issues with klarius exhausts being brutally loud, with a ridiculously raspy tone ?
difficult to describe, but it sounds like the gases are getting hung up, as there leaving the pipe, and causing this bellowing mild sonic-boom type rasp. its nasty.

i replaced the centre silencer, and rear silencer, with klarius pipes last week, and it sounds like a fart machine upto 3,500 rpm, after that it calms down a bit, unless the cars under heavy load, then it farts all the way.

it does have a de-cat on, but i didnt notice much difference, when it was with the old toyota exhaust.
that was much quieter, even with a blow at the back.

the old pipes were in ok condition, but they were both rotted away at the mating joint, and was blowing gas.
ive checked for leaks, and as far as i can tell its all good. its building plenty of pressure at the back, when i cover the tail pipe too.

either ive been sent a bad made pipe, that has no insulation stuff inside ? , or the toyota one is somehow 500% quieter.
we fit klarius pipes from euro's, to practically everything that comes into work, and never had one sound like this before.

i know its extreme, but im going to sell the car if i cant sort it out, as its embarrassing to drive. its literally turning entire streets of heads as i approach, sometimes 20 people at a bus stop are all staring at me, as i pass, and worse, i feel like a bastard, waking the neighbours up at 1am - 2am, when i fire up the car, its not far off sounding like it has no exhaust system at all on it.

im going to try re-fit the cat at the weekend, see what happens, but all the rasp and voilent flutter noise is coming from the back box from what i can tell.
if the cat makes no change, i might try pulling the backbox off completely, and driving it without one. it might even be quieter with it off.

could be a faulty exhaust - can you hear any vibration in any of the silencers. 
Would try and get euro to swap them for replacements

Klarius are on the cheaper end, would try a Bosal if you can get one - or try a good used oem one

I'll try get them exchanged if they'll allow it.

Trying not to spend anymore money, if I can help it, as I've had to throw over 500 quid in just parts in the last couple months. Lucky I can do all the work myself, or labor costs ontop, would have bankrupted me.

One other thing I noticed, there is a layer of rusty wash colour sat in the end of the tail pipe outlet.

Was just carbon/soot on the old pipe.

Dunno what that's about

Edited by G6-20

got new pipes, under warranty luckily.
try get them fitted asap, before i loose my mind.

exhaust even popped and banged earlier, probably spat flames.
standard pipe shouldnt do that under normal driving surely.

Managed fit this yet? I've just bought a Klarius exhaust for my GT (selling the car and putting it back to standard) and i'll be pi**ed if it sounds like that.

Got it dirt cheap as the factory is round the corner from me and I know someone who works there so got it on staff discount. Looks quite nice for a standard exhaust, shiny stainless tip and everything.

4 hours ago, Alistair_GT said:

Managed fit this yet? I've just bought a Klarius exhaust for my GT (selling the car and putting it back to standard) and i'll be pi**ed if it sounds like that.

Got it dirt cheap as the factory is round the corner from me and I know someone who works there so got it on staff discount. Looks quite nice for a standard exhaust, shiny stainless tip and everything.

yeah, fitted the 2 pipes yesterday.
i ditched the de-cat, and put the original cat back on too, while i was there, just for good measure.

god knows what was going on with the previous back box, might not have had any insulation in ?
also, the previous centre pipe appeared to have been blowing at both ends of the canister, after inspection, as there was brown carbon/water marks on it, where the seems are rolled over. the new replacement pipe did the same, but from the bottom side, instead of the top, tut tut (must be bad batch of pipes, or just poor construction) so i sealed the channels with exhaust paste, to stop the blow. sounds much better now, can actually drive the car without getting annoyed. no god awful raspy rattling roar, like a straight through exhaust filled with marbles. no more stares from crowds of people, which is good.

hopefully your pipes are better than the ones i got, but if i were you, id spend some time checking for air leaks after youve installed it. especially that centre silencer, both ones i received, had leaks.

On 03/11/2018 at 14:59, Bobbyh said:

fitted a new klarius back box a little while back and it did change the sound. It now burbles a bit when you lift off and sounds a bit more raspy throughout the revs 

With all these reports of noise, it would seem like there like that unfortunately :( shame.

For anyone that's curious, or needs a replacement for daily use, it might be worth spending the extra money, and getting genuine Toyota silencers, they seem superior in build quality. Not sure on the actual price of them tho, they could be silly money, you never know with dealer parts, sometimes they're dirt cheap, sometimes there a fortune, will have to investigate.

Might have better luck with something in the middle tho, like Bosal, or an aftermarket pipe that's not race, or horse power orientated.

Yep, about 2-3 years is all you get out of a Klarius. I've only bought one as I'm selling the car, makes no sense to put something good on as GTs are worth so little :(

I always tend to buy stainless, either off the shelf or have one made by powerflow etc. I don't bother with Genuine as they are always silly money. Had a complete turbo back stainless made for my Landcruiser for less than Toyota wanted for just the middle and back section...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.